Costco Wedding

Decorating By quilting2011 Updated 14 May 2008 , 1:29am by quilting2011

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 31

Can anyone give me tips to decorate a store bought coscto sheet cake and a costco chocolate bundt cake? One of my coworkers was married yesteday at City Hall. She and her husband want a costco wedding reception this Friday.

How would decorate a chocolate bundt cake, a white sheet cake, and a lemon bundt cake? Any idea? Thanks.

30 replies
terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 31

Just to get a better idea.... what is a Costco wedding? Like everything will come from Costco? They are have a wedding reception there? ... Just to have a better idea! icon_biggrin.gif

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 31

What is a costco wedding? Did she specifically say she wants a "Costco wedding?" What is that?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 31

Not sure what a Costco wedding is, but they actually have a really pretty white sheet cake that is already decorated for a wedding! And I've never seen a plain bundt cake there. It always has a choc. glaze on it already.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundtdiva

How would decorate a chocolate bundt cake, a white sheet cake, and a lemon bundt cake? Any idea? Thanks.

Let Costco do it icon_biggrin.gif

terrier Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

Let Costco do it

It would save time and it would be cheaper too! icon_smile.gif

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 31

I wouldn't want my name on that cake it might be your decorating but its not your cake. Let Costco do it besides if someone gets sick liability is you last person to have there hands on it.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:31pm
post #8 of 31

I agree with Cakesondemand. I think I know the sheet cake you're talking about. white with pink or red roses and the piping to know where to cut. Do they want you to scrape off the decorations and have you do it? She may be a good friend but if someone should get sick, they can come after you. Good Luck though. I know how tough it can be to turn down a friend, especially if she is a new bride.

cakesondemand Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 31

I use to work as decorator at Costco and you can get the cake with no decorations on it just based iced so it wouldn't be with your icing either. Wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole if you know what I mean.

terrier Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 31

Can you not buy the frozen sheet cakes? Not that you would want too... but Sam's sell a case of frozen sheet cakes. I know a lot of restaurant use them.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 31

I saw a sheet cake there and every time I see it I think it's sooo pretty! It just looks like a wedding cake as all the decorations are white as well. It's just so pretty!
I really don't have any problem with Costco cakes, it's just that we are all picky now that we know the good stuff!!

But for maybe $20 on a limited budget, I'd do it!!

terrier Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Quote:

really don't have any problem with Costco cakes

I hear you! If I was at a party and they had a Costco cake I would eat it! LOL icon_biggrin.gif Really who is going to turn down a piece of cake?

cakesondemand Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #13 of 31

Don't get me wrong Costco cakes are not bad I use to eat them all the time and would still but decorating a cake that you havent baked can be a problem not a good idea. What might work better is to use fresh flowers or silk flowers on it rather than you to decorate. You can incorporate them into the pound cakes to make them match.

terrier Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:22am
post #14 of 31

I still want to know what a Costco wedding is???

d

Quote:
Quote:

ecorating a cake that you havent baked can be a problem not a good idea

A lot of bakeries do this... they get frozen cakes sent to them and decorate them self and then sell them.

I mean Costco does not bake the cakes them self do they? Because I know that Sam's cakes are not bake by them but they do decorate them and sell them.
So what would be the difference if you got a cake from them and decorated it yourself?

Just friendly questions icon_biggrin.gif

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #15 of 31

I am sorry I didn't clarify "costco wedding reception". We are having a very casual reception this Friday for bride and her husband at work. I purchased white sheet cake at Costco. Costco decorated the cake. I'm just putting the cake on a rectangualar cake board with cake foil and add fresh roses around the cake. The same with the costco bundt cakes. I have antique white cake pedestals at home and will add fresh or silk roses in the middle of the bundt cakes. Also purchased a cheesecake and strawberry cheese cake from costco. The cheese cakes will be on a cake pedestals, My other coworkers (the computer guys_ are buying the beverages, and deli luncheon sandwiches from costco

We are so busy at work trying to meet a programming deadline that we do not have time to plan a party this week.

The bride and groom requested they wanted the cakes from costco.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #16 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

I mean Costco does not bake the cakes them self do they?

You are not correct in your assumption.

Condensed from the Dec. 2007 Costco Connection magazine....

The Costco baking day begins each morning at 5 a.m. The first order of business is pies, then croissants, Danish, rolls and so forth. Cookies are baked last. Thirty minutes before the warehouse open, hot breads pop out of the oven.

All baked goods taste as good as homemade because they are created by genuine Costco bakers for Costco members only. Many products are made from scratch: cheesecakes, dinner rolls, pecan pies, filling, icing, the new chocolate bark, to name just a few.

NO BAKED PRODUCTS ARE PURCHASED, except for the parbaked Kirkland Signature artisan breads. In order to get that great flavor and chewy crust, we feel the breads must be baked in hearth ovens. As you cn imagine, these ovens are way too big t fit in our kitchens. We do, however, perform the last 20 minutes of baking and final quality inspection.

The Costco bakers purchase ingredients, such as butter, oil, white four, sugars and Kirlkand Signature pecans and walnuts, right off the warehouse shelves.

Fresh and genuine ingredients are key to the program's success. For example, the Kirkland Signature strawberry cheesecake is makde with real, not imitation sour cream, Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, whole eggs and milk and strawberries.

Food aficionados are starting to take notice. Last year,
Saveur magazine voted Costco's classic sheet cake number 25 in their 100 Top Food Things.

Our competitors try to copy us, and it is very flattering, but they just don't get it. Their priority is penny-pinching --- ours is quality.

HTH

cakesondemand Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #17 of 31

Seems like you have it handled I thought you had to decorate the cakes but you are just finishing them with pedestals and flowers makes more sense. Sounds like it will be a very nice display that way.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #18 of 31

I don't know if i understand this....but if i had a friend who was getting a plain costco cake, was on a budget, and wanted me to decorate it....that would be the purdiest costco cake there ever was....
i'd cover it with buttercream roses, spray the whole outfit with pearl spray, then sprinkle clear gold pixie dust on it.

i would be more than happy to do it, isn't that what friends are for?...i'm not too much of a diva to do a costco cake for a friend....but thats just me.

cakesondemand Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:53am
post #19 of 31

Costco cakes are baked fresh and then put in the freezers for the next day to decorate. When I left there are a few things that came in frozen ie. cheese cakes we just pulled them out of the freezers and added the toping and cream. I use to make and bake the cheese cakes, chocolate mousse and pasties plus decorate cakes. It was a tough job to work in the their bakery but I learned alot from them and how to run a bakery. The Experience was great don't think I would have opened my own shop otherwise.

littlecake Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #20 of 31

OH..well nevermind...i just read thru this thread and you've already figured out what to do....good deal!

well that's how i would do it anyhow...i think you can make anything pretty....

costco cakes aren't bad....

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:59am
post #21 of 31
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #22 of 31

My sister says their chocolate cakes are to DIE for.. never had one myself though

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:11am
post #23 of 31

I don't mind Costco Cakes. And as the young lady said, they are busy at work and wanted to do something nice for their friends, plus that's what they requested. I have tasted cakes by ppl. who claim they are great bakers, whose cakes don't even come close to a Costco cake.

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:27am
post #24 of 31

I wondered if a Costco party was one totally catered with food and drink from Costco. (I've grown to love Costco quality / value for money over here).

Also, if its a small informal do and you're decorating a cake for a friend and you don't do the sort of cake decorating where your reputation is on the line all the time then decorate away but just don't put fresh flowers/greenery directly onto/into the cake for health and safety reasons.

have a great time

H Mouse

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:51pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

I mean Costco does not bake the cakes them self do they?

You are not correct in your assumption.

Condensed from the Dec. 2007 Costco Connection magazine....

The Costco baking day begins each morning at 5 a.m. The first order of business is pies, then croissants, Danish, rolls and so forth. Cookies are baked last. Thirty minutes before the warehouse open, hot breads pop out of the oven.

All baked goods taste as good as homemade because they are created by genuine Costco bakers for Costco members only. Many products are made from scratch: cheesecakes, dinner rolls, pecan pies, filling, icing, the new chocolate bark, to name just a few.

NO BAKED PRODUCTS ARE PURCHASED, except for the parbaked Kirkland Signature artisan breads. In order to get that great flavor and chewy crust, we feel the breads must be baked in hearth ovens. As you cn imagine, these ovens are way too big t fit in our kitchens. We do, however, perform the last 20 minutes of baking and final quality inspection.

The Costco bakers purchase ingredients, such as butter, oil, white four, sugars and Kirlkand Signature pecans and walnuts, right off the warehouse shelves.

Fresh and genuine ingredients are key to the program's success. For example, the Kirkland Signature strawberry cheesecake is makde with real, not imitation sour cream, Philadelphia-brand cream cheese, whole eggs and milk and strawberries.

Food aficionados are starting to take notice. Last year,
Saveur magazine voted Costco's classic sheet cake number 25 in their 100 Top Food Things.

Our competitors try to copy us, and it is very flattering, but they just don't get it. Their priority is penny-pinching --- ours is quality.

HTH

just because someone says they bake there cakes doesnt mean they actually do. im sure most grocery stores say that they bake when really there cake comes frozen in boxes. ive yet to ever see cake pans in the bakery. i have seen them baking pies and muffins.

my sister works at a high end grocery store and they also use frozen cakes but would never tell customers that. they even use frozen cupcakes

i dont see how costco can bake ther cakes and still sell them for $15

roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

My sister says their chocolate cakes are to DIE for.. never had one myself though

i really like their choc cake with the cheescake filling. havent had one in a long time since everyone always has me make the party cakes now

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #27 of 31

I probably wouldn't decorate a prebought cake, just because I'm then responsible for something I didn't have complete control over.

However, when it comes to Costco and Sam's Club cakes, I like them! I couldn't afford to buy the cakes I sell, so for my own birthday, I get one of theirs! Their chocolate cakes are really really good.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #28 of 31

The article does state that items are baked fresh, which is probably true since I myself have never baked something that came out of the oven NOT fresh! The article (assuming it is fully quoted) never mentions cake.

It is possible for them to have fresh baked, frozen cakes and the article still be accurate. The thing I notice w/ both Sam's and Costco is that there is no batter and no mixers in their bakeries.

I personally don't think there is anything wrong w/ the products they sell. They serve a particular market and I even have a few 'regulars' that use them for cheap cupcakes, then order a custom cake for me for pictures and for the adults - the kids get the cupcakes.

What a great idea that the bride and groom are adult enough to realize how busy they and all their friends are, and not want to tax anyone else (or themselves) with the expense and hassle of a big reception. I'm sure it will be great!

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxxy_luvs_duff

just because someone says they bake there cakes doesnt mean they actually do. im sure most grocery stores say that they bake when really there cake comes frozen in boxes. ive yet to ever see cake pans in the bakery. i have seen them baking pies and muffins.

my sister works at a high end grocery store and they also use frozen cakes but would never tell customers that. they even use frozen cupcakes

i dont see how costco can bake ther cakes and still sell them for $15

Actually my husband works at costco, and at least at his, they do bake the cakes there..just to let you know icon_wink.gif

*edited to fix the quote html*

littlecake Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:17am
post #30 of 31

i never worked at costco, but one instore bakery i worked at baked all their cakes...and the pies came in frozen.

but their cakes were kinda dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%