Giant Cupcake Gone Bad *cry*

Decorating By tabitwhe Updated 16 May 2008 , 4:15pm by KASCARLETT

tabitwhe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabitwhe Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 17

I have wondering around this great site for a few weeks getting ideas and tips on how to decorate, recipes and anything else I can find to help me with my daughters 1st Bday cake. Her theme was cupcakes so I wanted to make the Giant Cupcake using the wilton pan.

I made 3 practice cakes 2 came out great and no problem, one stuck and fell apart. When I made the final cake it came out good except the bottom half had on peice break off on the top part of it. I didnt think anything about it and just patched it back together. I had it all decorated and 30 min later this is what it looked like.

the next morning this is what it looked like

I have never made anything like that before so I didnt realize that the support was compromised when that peice broke off. I have definately learned my lesson on that!

Im going to try again for her Bday pics and her other party. Hopefully one of them will come out OK icon_biggrin.gif

16 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:14am
post #2 of 17

Gosh, I'm sorry this happened to you! That really stinks. It reminds me of my adventures of the wilton stand-up teddy bear pan.

I have no advice for you, but you have my sympathy. Disaster always seems to strike when it's a family occasion/milestone for me.

Michelle

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #3 of 17

Oh that stinks!! Better luck next time!!

YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #4 of 17

why don't u try putting the top bit on a board and dowelling it for more supprt?

tabitwhe Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:32am
post #5 of 17

Luckily I told myself and insisted to myself that I wouldnt stress about it LOL. She has a nice lavender cupcake and was completely happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YummyFireMummy

why don't u try putting the top bit on a board and dowelling it for more supprt?

Im not sure what you mean since I am new to all this icon_smile.gif

Do you mean put a board between the 2 layers and adding dowels through both layers and the board?

YummyFireMummy Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:54am
post #6 of 17

yep pretend its a 2 tier cake...probably wouldn't bother with a centre one though

tabitwhe Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:01am
post #7 of 17

Thanks I will try that!

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 17

Congratulations on your daughter's 1st bithday!
And I'm sorry to hear about your disaster!
I think like the others said, dowelling would be a good idea. Cakes can be deceivingly heavy! I would put dowels in the lower half of the cake, so that the dowels support the weight of the top layers.
Good luck next time!

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 17

Sorry about the cake "disaster"! I actually made that cupcake cake last month for my daughter's birthday. I didn't dowel and it turned out fine, even sitting overnight. I had planned on sticking some dowels in the bottom before setting the top on, but the top cake was so light that I just attached it with a layer of icing.

But maybe try this next time - I used regular cake mixes, chocolate on the bottom and white on the top. To the mix for the BOTTOM of the cupcake, I added one box of instant chocolate pudding and FOUR eggs instead of just three. That makes a sturdier cake, and maybe that's all you need.

Also, make sure both cake pieces rest OVERNIGHT before assembling and decorating, or they will be too fragile to assemble and decorate because of their 3-D shape. Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

tabitwhe Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:25am
post #10 of 17

Thanks for the tip. I need to make it tonight and decorate tomorrow night. Her pics are Thursday so hopefully that will help.

Thanks again for the tips!

They are very much appreciated!

YummyFireMummy Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:00am
post #11 of 17

so did it turn out ok???

tabitwhe Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for asking.

It turned out great! The MMF was wonderful and I finally figured out how to color it. The colors where so pretty! I did put 3 dowels in the bottom and it helped. THe only trouble I had this time was icing sliding down on one side at the bottom of the top layer but since she was going to mess it up anyway I didnt worry about that.

Here is a picture. She had already had her knees and hands in it so the top is messed up but it is still together LOL

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:19pm
post #13 of 17

That is an adorable picture!!!!!! That would be an AWESOME 1st birthday picture and you definately need to get that in a frame!!!

The cake looks great too BTW!!

tabitwhe Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you icon_smile.gif

I have about 15 Bday pics LOL. They all turned out so cute I couldnt say no to them!

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:15pm
post #15 of 17

That picture is just precious - glad the cake worked out for you! I'm borrowing that idea for my daughter's 1st bday!

tabitwhe Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieboo

sorry not to be mean or anything but ur cake must have been to clown of the party

Im not sure what that means.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:15pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabitwhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieboo

sorry not to be mean or anything but ur cake must have been to clown of the party

Im not sure what that means.

Me either! But I wouldn't worry about it, I think your cake is adorable! "been to clown of the party"? What the heck does that mean anyway? lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%