I Need The Perfect Decorated Cookie Icing Recipe

Baking By melysa Updated 15 May 2008 , 3:32pm by SugarBakerz

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 13

i'm making some chocolate rolled sugar cookie cutouts and need the perfect glaze or royal icing recipe. i havent made very many in the past, but the recipe in general that i've used has either been wiltons royal (water, meringue powder, powder sugar) or a mixture of sugar, egg whites and lemon juice. i like the flavor of the one with lemon juice, but this time i'm making chocolate cookies, and it doesnt seem like a good combo. i want a flavorful icing that dries with a nice shine and is easy to use, but stays edible, not drying like cement.on the other hand, it needs to dry enough that i can package the cookies without worrying that the cookies will get soft and soggy because of the moisture in the icing . i tried a search, but didnt find what i was hoping for. anyone have a perfect recipe (OR TIPS?) for me? thanks!

12 replies
melysa Posted 12 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 13

another try... thank you~

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 13

i use antonias royal icing heres the link to the recipe

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-Antonia74-Royal-Icing.html

i love it, its yummy. it drys nice but not rock hard

melysa Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:33am
post #4 of 13

thanks, i've tried that one before. i dont really care for the lack of flavor though. i did some looking around and found a recipe on the net for toba garretts glaze and i made a batch. it uses sugar, milk, corn syrup and i added vanilla and almond extract. it dried pretty shiny and tasted alright. thanks again for taking the time to respond though, i appreciate it.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:50am
post #5 of 13

I use a modified version of Toba's. If you add a few drops of brite white food color for every cup of powdered sugar you used, it will help eliminate problems with the icing spotting. I really like this icing, and use it on all my cookies. It's just so easy to use!

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 13

I know you already found a recipe, but here is what I use:

I do a mix between Royal and Alice's. It hardens enough to stack, but is soft to bite.

1 lb powdered sugar
2 tbspn light corn syrup
3 tbspn merengue powder
3+ tbspn water (to desired thickness)
2 tbspn butter
clear vanilla to taste (or other flavoring desired).

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 13

Pleae post Toba's recipe for the cooking icing. Thanks!

sallene Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 13
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 13

Sallene - this is a flow-in icing not rolled? Thanks

Lovemypups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemypups Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:08pm
post #10 of 13

I just used Toba's glace recipe yesterday and am really pleased with it. It dries shiny and seems to be hardening enough to stack them today. Tastes great, too, with the vanilla in it. I'd like to do chocolate cookies with mint in the glace. A half cup of it thickened with 7 heaping tbsps of powdered sugar was great for piping.

sallene Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 13

Yes, that is a flow icing. (The Toba's one that I posted as well as mine).

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #12 of 13

Toba's is the way to go. It dries shiny, hard enough to stack by the next day but when you bite into it, it's still soft.

You can add any flavoring you like and it is a flow icing so easy to use. I make it stiffer to outline the cookie then use a thinner version of the same color to flow the inside. I have also outlined the cookie with royal then used Toba's glace on the inside of the royal.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 15 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #13 of 13

i have been using royal for a while now after I didn't like my ability to use Antonia's... .it was good for taste because I used more flavor in mine, but for some reason I couldn't get mine to dry like I like them, so I converted back to royal which I hate knowing people eat icon_smile.gif So I think I will try Toba's now and if I don't have success with it I will use the combo posted here. Thanks for starting this thread! I am sure it has been told a hundred times, but I just caught it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%