Flavor Opinion

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 6:56am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 16

I'm pretty sure this would go under this topic as it addresses BC and fondant.....

I made my very first Hummingbird cake and it's now time to frost it. I want to cover it in fondant. I'm about to make my BC and I know Hummingbird cakes are traditionally covered in Cream Cheese BC. My question is: would it be too much to then cover it in a Cream cheese fondant? Kansaswolf recently posted her recipe in a topic entitled Cream Cheese based fondant recipe!

What do you all think? Is this cream cheese overkill?

15 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 16

Any opinions? Please.

I need to begin making the fondant soon if I'm going to do this.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 16

I dont think it would be... icon_biggrin.gif

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 16

I'm sorry, I am not familiar with Hummingbird cake.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks for the opinion, Edna.

Tiptop Birthday Buddy, here's the recipe I used> http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=387218

Apparently it's a traditional Southern cake, but when I heard of it (from one of the contestants of Food Network's Engagement Cake Challenge) I looked it up to try it as it sounds scrumptious. I can't wait to taste it!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 16

It is a VERY traditional and delicious cake...

I would do a light vanilla fondant instead of cream cheese fondant AND cream cheese icing...do the cream cheese icing.. not a crusting one though (or at least I wouldn't

One of my best sellers icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 16

is it even possible to have too much cream cheese?...have you seen the commercials cream cheese come from heaven!

put it on there!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:58am
post #8 of 16

I love hummingbird..And I am a big fan of creamcheese..so my humingbird is always done with cream cheese unless someone ask for something else..Like littlecake said...is it even possible to have to much cream cheese?...
icon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:00am
post #9 of 16

I think though cream cheese bc AND cream cheese fondant would be a bit much for me .. but that is JMO icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:47am
post #10 of 16

Thank you all for your opinions!

I'm going to see if I have the time for the cream cheese fondant and possibly give it a try. The cake is for family and my daughter has been known to eat cream cheese on a spoon. To me that is just a bit much! But I did make the BC and decided to be a little creative and made a white chocolate cream cheese BC. lol It's heavenly! Mmmmmm

So time will tell........

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:22am
post #11 of 16

GO FOR IT.

I tired the white chocolate cream cheese icing, it does not taste like cream cheese, but it is absolutely DELISH!

I am trying the cream cheese fondant recipe here with in the next day or so to cover a cake I am making ...

I think you will be surprised at how good it will taste!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:24am
post #12 of 16

Cream cheese overkill?

I didn't even know there was such a thing!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:30am
post #13 of 16

Sugar_Plum_Fairy.. I never heard of white chocolate cream cheese BC. Can you share the recipe ? Or where to find it ? Thanks !

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #14 of 16

It's a recipe that's actually from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Cake Bible. But it's also found on a few websites including this one: http://www.recipelink.com/mf/16/241

Enjoy!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:34pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks Grace ! Sound yummmy and simple to !!! For some reason I was thinking it would be real involved!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:56am
post #16 of 16

By the way, I just wanted to update in case anyone was interested; I did eventually try this combination. What a great combination it turned out to be! Wow! It wasn't only me who thought this. My DH, kids, in-laws and s-i-l's friends thought so also (they seemed to be sincere and not just saying it to be nice).

The only warning is that the fondant is difficult to work with.......but, oh, so delicious. I highly recommend this flavor pairing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%