Tappits How Do I?

Decorating By YAYI95 Updated 13 May 2008 , 2:15am by CakeDiva73

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 13

I am wanting to purchase "Tappits" for cookies I have to do, has anyone used them before? How easy are they to use?

12 replies
SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #2 of 13

I have the tappits for lettering and I love them. Not hard to use at all.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:05am
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetArt

I have the tappits for lettering and I love them. Not hard to use at all.

Can you give us some pointers on using them? I tried mine once and just stopped when my 'tapping' turned into 'slamming' with a side of swearing.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 13

Sweetart~
I fought with my tappits! Is the secret to really dust the mold ?
I love the idea of them, but found them to be a bit of a hassle.
What the secret to having them come out nice?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 13

The first time I used them, I didn't care for them at all.

Then I read the directions. icon_biggrin.gif

Now I use them all the time.

Roll your gumpaste really thin. Now roll it thinner. Roll it one more time.

Let it dry out a bit.

Then cut with the tappit and smack it on the counter and the letter/shape will pop right out.

The secret is thin and dry. Let the letter/shape dry more on the counter before trying to move it or pick it up.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:15am
post #6 of 13

I don't know about the ones for cookies, but I have the ones for lettering. It took a bit of practice, but the method I found to work for me is: First I get a cookie sheet or a flat piece of grease proof material that I can move around easily. Then I put a very light coat of shortening on it. Roll out your fondant or 50/50 fondant gumpaste (I like that better because they dry faster). Roll it out very thin about an 1/8 of an inch or even a tad thinner. After you roll it out let it set for about 1 or 2 minutes so the surface can kind of dry. Then grease your tappit with a generous amount of shortening. Press your letter and kind of wiggle it and right as you start picking it up flick your finger on the corner and it should come loose. Sometimes they don't and you have to keep flicking (and using a few bad words to get them out icon_wink.gif ). After all the letters are cut remove the surrounding fondant from between and around the letters (I use an exacto knife). Then I let them dry right on the cookie sheet as long as I can, sometimes overnight. Then take your exacto knife and loosen them from the cookie sheet and put them on the cake. Make sure you make extra letters because some may break.

I'm sure there is a better and more preferred way to do this, but this is what works for me.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:40am
post #7 of 13

leahs & pjaycakes~~

Thank you so much!! I think I was doing it right but didn't let it dry a bit first. I think that will help! Thank you. I re-read the directions and it doesn't say to let it dry a bit. As soon as I read that leahs, it made sense!

Thank you both!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:47am
post #8 of 13

Aine2 just made a wonderful tutorial on utube, posted it yesterday

YAYI95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YAYI95 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:49am
post #9 of 13

thanks so much for the info, i just ordered two sets of letters..i'll just wait till the kids are not around to use them since im sure a few four letter words will come out of my mouth...thanks again, don't know what I would do without all of you!!!!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:00am
post #10 of 13

I am looking at the GSA website to see what these tappits are and they only show the font....does anyone have a picture of what these are? What are they made of or how they work?

That is the one thing that drives me batty about that site - they don't show the item you're buying ( in some cases.) Only the pattern as it appears afterwards and it would be better to see both, and possible, some brief direction of how some of these cool little gadgets work....

CakeDiva73 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #11 of 13

Or dimensions........they never show demensions so I have no idea if they are 1/4" or 2" across. icon_rolleyes.gif

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:12am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

The first time I used them, I didn't care for them at all.

Then I read the directions. icon_biggrin.gif

Now I use them all the time.

Roll your gumpaste really thin. Now roll it thinner. Roll it one more time.

Let it dry out a bit.

Then cut with the tappit and smack it on the counter and the letter/shape will pop right out.

The secret is thin and dry. Let the letter/shape dry more on the counter before trying to move it or pick it up.

That's it in a nutshell. Roll it paper thin and let it dry about 5 minutes per side. I don't dust or grease them. Here's a pic of the product. The blue is the Script and the pink is the Block letters. They are laying on a mat with 1" grids.
LL

CakeDiva73 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #13 of 13

Hi -

I was reading a thread where you were raving about the SPS system since it was disposable and I went to the site where you said we could get it. Unfortunately, I had trouble navigating that site but I think it's because I wasn't sure which pieces I needed.

If you have any spare time (ha ha) can you tell me what I need? I am not sure if I need to know which exact cake sizes I need or if you order a variety to have on hand.

I appreciate your time, if you have it,

Thanks,

Christine K.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%