I Just Don't "get" What The Pillars Sit On!

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 13 May 2008 , 4:58am by JanH

LittleLinda Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

The only construction I've done with pillars is my crystal clear divider set where the pillars drive all the way down through the lower cake.

I've seen pillar sets where the pillars are between two plastic separators, and the piece sits right on the lower cake.

But I don't know how you have pillars between cakes where the top of the lower cake is frosted and the pillars are (or at least appear to be) sitting on top of the frosting!

I need this explained ... and pictures would be a plus!

6 replies
chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 7

It took me a minute, but I 'got' what you were saying. They are a two-piece deal. The pillar that goes all the way in, plus a loose 'foot' that rests on the cake.


LittleLinda Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 7
chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 7

I've never seen those before (not a Wilton fan). It looks like you need the two-plate system.

ericaann79 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 7

I'd like to know too, I have a cake due in 2 weeks that I need to use them on...

KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 7

I think maybe you are asking about the 2 plate system? The ones with the movable feet are single plate, same as if you had to hide the join with icing. For the ones where you see 2 plates, you have to add dowels into the cake to hold up the plate-pillar-plate separation. Those curved pillars work the same way, in between 2 plates. HTH

JanH Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #7 of 7

Illustrated common cake support systems:
(With complete and accurate directions.)


More on SPS system:
(See leahs post.)


Illustrated how to cut level dowels by indydebi:



Quote by @%username% on %date%