Spongebob Cake Instructions

Decorating By noosie Updated 14 May 2008 , 1:23pm by frstech

noosie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noosie Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 17

Hey all,

I posted my Spongebob cake last night and was asked by a few ccer's for instructions. So here they are if anyone else would like them. I also would like to mention that I was inspired by Cambo's Spongebob cake and truly admire all her work.

Here goes:

2 11" square cake baked in 3" deep pans.

Cut each 11" square cake in half then split each half to give you 8 11"x 5 1/2" layers.

I used vanilla buttercream as a filling. When I reached the 4th layer I put in a piece of foam board to act as a stabilizer since this was a a pretty high cake. After I filled each layer I used a level to make sure the cake was even and not lop sided. Frost the entire outside of the cake with a thin layer of buttercream. I used two 1/4" wooden dowels to help support the cake. They punctured down through the cake board and were level with the cake on top.

Put 2 small balls of fondant where SB cheeks will be. Drape the yellow fondant over the top 2/3 of the cake and trim around leaving room for his shirt and pants. Carefully run your hand over his cheeks to find the fondant balls you placed on the cake.

Use a white thick fondant ribbon as his shirt and add little collars. Finally, I used chocolate dough for his pants (chocolate and corn syrup) and mouth. The rest is all detail work.

The crabby Patties are mini muffins sliced in half with a chocolate cake "burger" fondant lettuce and cheese and buttercream ketchup & mustard.

I hope these instructions helped. If something does not make sense, feel free to PM me. Good Luck.
LL

16 replies
terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 17

Thank you so much! Your cake is so cool!! I can not wait to try it! But I am warning you that I will be most likely calling you for help! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
cheers,
ally

Brandiz2206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandiz2206 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 17

Wow, great cake! Thanks for the instructions...my daughter is 2 and LOVES "bob bob" as she calls him! I'll have to try this out for her!

Ah-na Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ah-na Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks alot! Saving this topic!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 17

Oh my gosh! Too cute. The first thing I thought was that I hope my three year old likes Sponge Bob someday so I can try this! LOL.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 17

This cake is so awesome.
I have a couple of simple questions. When you say you used 2 long dowels for support, how do you get them through the foam board. Do you make holes in the foam board first and then just "remember" where they are. I've never understood how you get the dowels through the cake boards on tiered cakes.

Do you make your burgers ahead? Do the chocolate cake patties and split cupcakes dry out?
I really wanted to do these but I'm afraid the burgers would dry out big time by the time, I baked, assembled and had them pick them up and served the next day.
Awesome cake by the way.

Cristy

noosie Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks Cristy!

To answer your question about the dowels, I simple sharpen the end of the dowel so that it will puncture right through the foam board and cake board. I use a rubber mallet and gently tap the dowel all the way through with no problems at all.

The "burgers" were made the day before as far as the mini muffins and the chocolate cake. I then wrapped tightly and stored until the next day when I sliced the muffins and assembled the burgers. I used a pretty moist cake so did not have problems with dryness. Also I used a dab of buttercream between the burger layers to hold it together.

HTH!

pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 17

This is so incredible! When it is time to eat the cake, how does one go about slicing this up?

noosie Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 17

thnx pipercakes!

The dimensions of this cake we 11" wide 5" 1/2" deep and about 11 or 12" tall. This cake was for my nephew so I had the honors of slicing it myself!

I sliced it across first from left to right about two layers down then sliced down. each slice I would say was about 1" wide by 2" deep. Once you get to the foam board, remove dowels and foam board and continue slicing.

HTH

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 17

How did you get the texture for the yellow sponge?

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #11 of 17

Your cake is so cute and thank you for taking the time and put the instructions together.

noosie Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:22pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaann79

How did you get the texture for the yellow sponge?

I used the rounded edge of a small dowel to gently push in the fondant for the "circles"

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:41am
post #13 of 17

Thank you for sharing the instructions. thumbs_up.gif

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #14 of 17

I've been looking for a Spongebob cake and this is amazing!. Thanks for the instructions! icon_biggrin.gif

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:15pm
post #15 of 17

wow thanks for posting this - you did an awesome job!

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #16 of 17

this looks really cool! thanks for the info

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:23pm
post #17 of 17

I have been thinking about doing one of these, so glad you posted instructions !! Thanks

Dawn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%