Interning At A Cupcake/ Cake Shop

Business By Katied75 Updated 12 May 2008 , 5:35pm by GeminiRJ

Katied75 Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

The owner of a local cake and cupcake shop told me to give her a call about discussig a part time internship this summer.

When I asked about the hours, she said that would depend on skill.

Ummm, I have no skills, lol. Seriously, I'll have been through 2 Wilton courses and decorating for 2 months. I don't own or use all of the proper tools (I level with a knife and measure by skimming the top of the pan... I've never used a tool for leveling, for example). I have never used fondant. I can quickly be taught/ trained to level, fill and ice cakes in a way that is the most efficient (I obviously ice cakes, but I do it my own way and I'm slow).

Do you think she'll have a use for me? Would any shop owners want a true beginner interning for them, and if so, what would you have me doing?

Maybe I'll be washing dishes, lol.

4 replies
TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 5

I think that the best person to ask those questions to are the lady. Why not call her back and tell her what you told us. Maybe she will be willing to work with you. Maybe she will need more. It really depends on what she is looking for and what she needs.

But you won't know until you ask her.

Katied75 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks TexasSugar. I have e-mailed her, and I'm suppossed to be calling her tomorrow. I told her that I'm really a beginner, with only some Wilton's courses under my belt, and a couple months of decorating practice. I asked her if I should still call for an interview tomorrow. We'll see what she says.

Cakebelle Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 5

Don't worry! You'll probably learn much just by being at the shop, it might just turn out to be exactly what you need. icon_smile.gif

Good luck!

GeminiRJ Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 5

If you're interning, it's a clue right there that you aren't Collette Peters, so I wouldn't worry about your lack of experience. That's what an internship is supposed to give you, and the owner gets some help at a reasonable price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%