Princess Sock Monkey!? Lol

Decorating By JStar Updated 16 May 2008 , 8:02pm by toodlesjupiter

JStar Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 14

Hey guys,
So I have an order for a 5 year old girl who can't make up her mind between a princess cake and a sock monkey.... so I thought I'd be a daredevil (or nut job!) and combine the two. I was thinking of sitting a princess cushion on a cake base and instead of topping it with a tiara, topping it with a sock monkey wearing a tiara and tutu!
I have never done a sock monkey.... looking for ideas to make a 3d one realistic... stitching etc. Any ideas?

So far I have thought of painting fondant or piping stitches....

Not even sure of how to form her yet, any ideas most welcome! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 14

I think forming the sock monkey out of RKT would probably be fairly easy. Then you could cover it with fondant (different colors if necessary) and paint it or embellish it however you want. I made a fish out of RKT (in my photos) and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Good luck I think your idea sounds like a great one.

alidpayne Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

I think forming the sock monkey out of RKT would probably be fairly easy.

This may be a "duh" question, but what is RKT? I have not heard this one before.

crystalina1977 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 14

RKT is rice krispy treat. I notice you are a new member, in one of the forums here, can't think of which but someone will know, there is a list of acronyms that will help you figure us out!

sweetpea1972 Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 14

I don't know if you saw it, but Elisa Strauss (Confetti Cakes) did a sock monkey twice for Food Network Challenges. You might be able to find a pic on her website.

If/when you do it, make sure you post! My little brother is expecting his first child in Sept and that may have to be a shower cake for them icon_smile.gif

cupcakemkr Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 14

I think this is a GREAT idea, how fun would that be!

I also agree that the RKT with fondant would be the way to go for the SM topper. Please post photos if you do this.

Good luck and have fun icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:

I think forming the sock monkey out of RKT would probably be fairly easy. Then you could cover it with fondant (different colors if necessary) and paint it or embellish it however you want. I made a fish out of RKT (in my photos) and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Good luck I think your idea sounds like a great one.

This was what I thought of also. I also had a vision of the sock monkey wearing something like this:
LL

cupcakemkr Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 14

If you did it in fondant you could get pink netting and ribbon to make a cute tutu!

Here is a photo I found on sockmonkey.com
LL

gottabakenow Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:

RKT is rice krispy treat. I notice you are a new member, in one of the forums here, can't think of which but someone will know, there is a list of acronyms that will help you figure us out!

here ya go!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

HTH

alidpayne Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:35am
post #10 of 14

Actually, I'm not new. I have been here for a couple of years. I just lurked for a long time. I am pretty down with the lingo, just hadn't seen the rkt acro before. or didn't remember it. Thanks for sharing.

JStar Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks you guys!! You're so sweet for helping!! I will definitely post when it's done.... wont be for a couple of months but I'll come back and find this thread icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 16 May 2008 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 14

I love sock monkeys! I can't wait to see this one. Please let me know when you post the pic!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

shell62995 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 14

what cute idea! i cant wait to see a pic!

toodlesjupiter Posted 16 May 2008 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 14

I have a sock monkey cake saved to my favs (I love sock monkeys!) that susanscakebabies made that may help.... it's so cute. Here is the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1218988.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%