Covering Cake Board With Fondant

Decorating By StephW Updated 12 May 2008 , 9:00pm by ladyonzlake

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 8

I just made a baby shower cake last week and I covered the board in fondant and then used an impression mat to give it a cobblestone type of pattern. The cake is in my pics although the pic isn't very good and I don't think you can really see the board very well.

Anyways, this is the first time I had attempted to do this. I used straight fondant and I covered the board (a thin hard board - 1/4" thick at most - but I can't think of what it is called) on Wednesday night. By the next morning when I brought the cake in to work, the sides of the fondant were chipping off already.

Is there a way to prevent this? I liked the look that I achieved with the fondant and would like to be able to do this again sometime, but it wasn't pretty where it was chipping away. I don't know if the fondant should have been thicker, or if I can't use such a hard board when covering with the fondant.

Any ideas??

TIA!

7 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 8

Most experts agree that covering the sides of a cake board is simply not done because of this reason. Either leave plain or cover the sides with ribbon using double stick tape.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 8

Yeah, I don't usually cover the sides of the board either and just for that reason. I have done it before tho and now any custom board I do gets extra, smaller boards underneath (like 3 12" rounds under a 14" board) so that I have a way to grip it easily. This will prevent you from having to manhandle the sides too much.

StephW Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the replies ladies!

OK, so I need to trim the fondant at the edge of the board to prevent the chipping. But does the fondant ever shrink and pull away from the edge then? Or should I cut it a little bit larger to account for the shrinkage?

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 8

Are you using real fondant or MMF fondant?
I'd think the MMF may shrink.

I actually use my fondant smoother to roll the edge ever so slightly over the lip so you don't get an odd cut edge.
HTH

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 8

I cut it smoothly right at the edge. I use Satin Ice fondant and it does not shrink back. I spritz the board down with water first so it attaches.

StephW Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 8

I am using Satin Ice. So it sounds like I should be ok with SI and not have the shrinkage. Next time I will spritz the board with the water too. Hadn't thought of that!

Thank you so much!!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 8

I cover the sides in a cordinating ribbon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%