My First Gumpaste Flower! (Can I Have Some Tips?)

Decorating By CheadleChick Updated 12 May 2008 , 4:40pm by Valli_War

CheadleChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheadleChick Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first gum paste flower (lily). I'm pretty new to fancy cake decorating. A friend of mine asked me to make her wedding cake and wants pink lillies on it. I figured I'd give making gum paste flowers a try. What do you guys think?
I used tangerine colored petal dust and brown food coloring for the spots. The pistil is gum paste and the stamens are storebought.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1220191.html

What do you think for a first try?

Also, I was wondering, what do you use to make all the petals, pistil, stamens and leaves stick together? When I made the flower itself I let all of the petals dry together, they broke apart when I started painting it.

Thanks!
LL

4 replies
Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 5

I think it looks pretty, especially for a first attempt!!

I've never actually made a gumpaste Lily, but I have read this tutorial:

http://cakecentral.com/article143-How-To-Make-A-Gumpaste-Stargazer-Lily-Asian-Lily.html

which uses wires to hold all the petals together. Maybe you could read this and try to play with them a bit?

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 5

In my fondant and gumpaste class, we were taught to use gum glue to stick the petals together. and stamens too. Just take a peanut size gum paste, break it into smaller chunks and add a table spoon of water. It will dissolve in an hour or so. Stir it and use it with paint brush and stick the petals together.

Hope this helps. Your lily is very nice. They never taught this in gum paste class.

CheadleChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheadleChick Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valli_War

Just take a peanut size gum paste, break it into smaller chunks and add a table spoon of water. It will dissolve in an hour or so. Stir it and use it with paint brush and stick the petals together.

Hope this helps. Your lily is very nice.

Thank you very much! That definitely does help! Do you use the "glue" after the petals are dry or when they're still "wet"? I imagine either would work.

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

We were taught to use it before they dry up. You can manouver the petals if you want when they are not completely dry.

But there was one flower (fantasy flower) which was made seperate (a big one and a small one with stamens) and we were told to put it together after they dry. It is like a cup in a bigger cup. So, you can do either of them. If you have to paint the petals, I guess you can stick them up after they are dry and you are done painting with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%