Thinking Of Only Offering 2 Icings - Need Advice...

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 16 May 2008 , 2:28pm by gottabakenow

mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 13

I am seriously thinking about only offering 2 icings for the "outsides" of my cakes: buttercream & fondant. Is this crazy? Right now if you go to my website I have a bunch of flavors/icings listed all in one called "Icings/Fillings" - but I think I do a much better job of covering a cake in plain ol' buttercream and/or fondant.

So I would like your opinions - good idea or bad idea?

icon_confused.gif

12 replies
gottabakenow Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 13

it looks like most of your icings are different flavors of buttercream. you could just take away the ganache, glaze, etc, and there you go. personally if i ever opened a business i wouldn't offer so many icings, just seems much simpler to offer 2 or 3. just my 2 cents. btw, i love your website! very professional and i'm really picky. icon_smile.gif

chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 13

I offer SMBC, rolled fondant or chocolate butter icing.

If you have too many choices people become confused and uncertain.

Laura102777 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 13

Do many people order flavors other than those basics from you?

Is there a lot of additional cost involved in keeping them on the menu?

As a customer, I would put a higher value to products offered by someone with several delicious sounding options than someone who just has a couple of basics. I would think that offering some flavors that your competitors don't offer would be a major selling point. That's just something to take into consideration. Don't get me wrong, I think a long list of flavors would be overwhelming, but just a few that others may not offer would be best.

chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 13

Oy, I may have to elaborate.

I have about 15 different cake flavors and almost that many fillings. To cover the cake they can choose SMBC, RF or chocolate butter icing.

FromScratch Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 13

I think it would be more simple from a customer's stand point if you listed all of your buttercream flavors as just "Buttercream" and when they talk with you you can let them know that it can be flavored. I offer SMBC, ganache, fondant, and chocolate fondant. That's it. I do offer flavored buttercreams for the inside of cakes, but even then I list it as "Buttercream (comes in many flavors)".

icon_smile.gif

ANicole Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 13

I agree with Jeanne. Personally, I think the icing list is too long and feels cluttered. I can't even decipher it myself really without some concentration. I would list it differently if you're going to keep all those flavors. List Fondant, then underneath list all the different flavors, then list Buttercream, then underneath list all the different flavors, etc.

For the orange juice glaze, etc., I might skip that because it's a specialized glaze and maybe create some tortes or cakes that come with that on it, that can't really be changed up. Like on my website, I have a few cakes that are already figured out as far as flavors such as the Chocolate Peanut Butter cake. So if the orange glaze tastes best w/ a particular flavor of cake, put those together and name it "Orange Juice Cake" or whatever (something more creative!).

Hope to help!

Amber

TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 13

I don't think you have to offer less, just reword what you have.

I would do something like:

Vanilla Buttercream
** You can get Buttercream in a wide variety of flavors to go with the flavor of cake you choice. Some other options are Banana, Champagne, Lemon, Orange, or Strawberry.

Chocolate Buttercream, also comes in Chocolate Fudge and Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge.

Cream Cheese icing, also comes in White Chocolate Cream Cheese.

Rolled Fondant: White, Chocolate, or White Chocolate

Ganache: Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, or White Chocolate

If you have some icings that no one ever asks for then you can always take that off. If you have some that are really close then I would pick one or the other. Like what is the difference between your chocolate buttercream and your chocolate fudge buttercream?

I would leave the Royal Icing and Orange Juice Glaze off. If the Orange Glaze goes with a certain cake flavor and someone asks for it you can always offer that one.

Because you just have cookies and cream filling on here it seems out of place. If you offer fruit or other fillings then I'd list some of those to give people other ideas. You can always say something like:

Buttercream, Cream Cheese and Ganache icings can be used as fillings. We also offer Cookies and Cream and Fruit based fillings.

Instead of and more, personally I would put something about how you want to help costomize their cake order and if they have a icing or filling that is not on the list they can discuss it with you and you can see if it is do-able. That is if you are willing to.

Personal I like seeing a list of flavors, but for me, I also like seeing a list of flavor combinations. Other wise I'd be like "Can I have vanilla cake with Vanilla Butter."

It is good sometimes to see different flavor combinations, already spelled out for you. Something like of popular flavor combinations are...

FromScratch Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 13

This is how I'd break it up..

Add a line that says "this list is not all inclusive.. if you don't see what you like just ask"

And have a flavor combinations suggeation page. I have a Signature Combinations page on my site. It serves as a reference for people looking for ideas. icon_smile.gif
LL

MichelleM77 Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 13

I am one of those people that get overwhelmed when I have too many choices. I do lots of fillings, but for the outside I'm just doing fondant, so they only have two decisions to make...cake flavor and filling flavor, otherwise it's my standard vanilla BC and fondant. Maybe it's the A.D.D. that I think I have, but it's easier on me and my customers. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:16pm
post #11 of 13

I have one ... my "dream whip buttercream". I've done one cake iced in a chocolate version. It's never been a problem or an issue.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you all for your comments & suggestions!! I'm still learning icon_biggrin.gif I had been thinking about posting cake suggestions (with the cake & icing already picked out for the customer) because lately I've been getting some funky orders!

I changed my "flavors" page a bit - I'd like some more feedback if you guys have time!

Thanks again!

icon_smile.gif

gottabakenow Posted 16 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 13

its perfect! WTG! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%