Gumpaste Rose Help

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 13 May 2008 , 3:02am by angienajjar

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 5

I watched the tutorial and read instruction on making gumpaste roses, i've tried the Wilton way cutting all the individual petals and also practiced using the 5 petal cutter.

I need easy advice from some experts....What is the best way????

What are the best size 5 petal cutters to use, I have the 50mm 90mm and 100mm I feel like I needed the inbetween sizes.

Should I be rolling the gumpaste as thin as I can first and then ruffle the edges or roll it thicker, thin the edges then ruffle?

Is the thin foam or thick foam better? The thicker one seems to work better for me to ruffle, but it leaves a grainy texture on the back side.

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, I make the roses with the 5 petal cutter. You have to roll it really thin and then ruffle the edges of the petals. I've got only one size, but I think you can use all the sizes you got to make a bigger rose. I also use a thick foam. But I have never noticed a grainy texture on my rose petals. icon_biggrin.gif

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 5

my gumpaste is picking up the texture of the foam, and it's giving it a dried out look. I'm trying to roll thin but my petals are flopping over.

Is it best to use corn startch or shortening, iv'e tried them both and it's just doesnt seem to be working for me...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 5

I use corn starch when working with gumpaste.

Also I use both my foams when working with roses. One for thinning the petals and for indentation.

If possible I would recommend taking the Wilton Course 3 or any other course where you get hands on help.

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #5 of 5

I like using a cellpad....soft side for furling.
I roll pretty thin, then using only the ball tool, I encircle the petal, which thins it, stretches it bigger, and with a little more pressure, curls the edges....all in one motion. Sounds weird, but it works for me, and saves time too. I do one petal at a time, do not use the 5 petal cutters.
I also use a foam square, which I bought at a craft store, used in kids projects, and comes in lovely bright colours. Does not leave any markings, as its quite a 'dense' piece of foam about 1/8" thick. I think they come in thinner and thicker sizes also., b ut great for thinning large petals on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%