Fill And Crumbcoat On A Wednesday For Saturday Wedding

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 12 May 2008 , 12:01pm by Chiara

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:53am
post #1 of 8

I usually fill and crumbcoat on Thursday and ice and decorate on Friday.

Due to the design of this cake and the amount of decorating involved I would like to fill and crumbcoat on Wednesday, ice on Thursday and decorate on Friday. Would this be okay, or do you think the extra day will make the cake dry?

7 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:17am
post #2 of 8

If it's a fondant covered cake, that wouldn't concern me at all. Buttercream I'm not so sure about!

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:24am
post #3 of 8

It should be fine. I have done this when I have to do several cakes and have had no problem cake is still moist.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:46am
post #4 of 8

It will be fine icon_smile.gif Cakes stay fresh for 7 days & then covered with icing it will stay fresh longer because sugar is a preservative~ I usually do everything on a Thurs then decorate on a Fri. Wed doesn't make a big difference~ icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:38am
post #5 of 8

I have done this a few times and it's been fine. I'm a box-mix baker, if that makes a diff.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:54am
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a shot. They are buttercream (sugarshacks recipe). I also use the WASC recipe for cake.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #7 of 8

You will be fine!!

I had a ridiculously busy week this week and the intern or free assistant that I have couldn't work this week!! So I had to start baking on Monday for Saturday! Just be sure to get it crumb coated as quick as possible. I got a call from a saturday wedding that was baked on tuesday and they said it was the best cake ever.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 8

No problem. Not only does it keep fresh because it is sealed with the butter cream you can also freeze it in that format as well if necessary. Let it thaw in the fridge so you avoid condensation and voila!
I always make my cakes in stages. I also crumb coat them when they are frozen or very well chilled to make the process easier.
Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%