Need Advice Please...

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 12 May 2008 , 5:12pm by jadak

wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 11

I need help. I have told my DS' school that I will donate their 8th grade grad. cakes. SO.... after many lost hours of sleep I decided to do 2 sheet cakes.. not full... 12 x 18's .. there will be maybe 100 ppl.. maybe a little less.. Anywho even though I am doing sheets I decided to do one in chocolate with a pile of chocolate covered strawberries on top. And then the vanilla in a shape of a diploma.. what have you. Does it sound stupid that I want to do a chocolate cake with strawberries on it? My DH looked at me like I was stupid when I told him about it. He said ITS DONATED!!!! I know I know.. but it is also our son!!! The scroll cake will be 2 layers... he also thinks that is a bit much.

"JUST do sheetcakes he says... can't you make anything simple in your life?"

WOW .. I was floored... so now I am rethinking what I should do.... can I have your advice please ( I STILL so want to do the chocolate covered strawberry cake icon_sad.gif )

What would you do?

10 replies
cakesbycathy Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:30am
post #2 of 11

You're making the donation, if this is what you want to do then do it! If you can afford the extra cost of the choc covered strawberries, then that's your choice to make.

I can kinda see dh's point - he's probably thinking that since you're giving away 2 cakes, then you do something simple, so as to not stress yourself out.

JanH Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:32am
post #3 of 11

Not to go off topic....but there really is a difference in male vs. female brains when it comes to communication.

If you relate a harrowing scenario to your female friends, they will probably offer sympathy and support (unless you ask for advice).

If you relate a harrowing scenario to your DH, he will (inevitably) tell you what you should have done (sympathy & support being optional).

As long as you're not taking food off the table in order to donate the layered sheetcakes (decorated with the chocolate covered strawberries, etc.); I think your generosity will be appreciated by the students.

And who knows, perhaps, your generosity will be rewarded with a few orders.

I found this little quote for you. icon_smile.gif

âThe way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.â Mitch Albom

(And in this particular situation, creation requires chocolate covered strawberries!)

You Go Girl!!!!

indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:36am
post #4 of 11

icon_lol.gif YOur hubby sounds like my 15 year old on her last birthday when she requested "Just a regular cake. Out of a box with canned icing and no decorations. Just a regular cake like my friends get to have!" icon_lol.gif

When he asks, "Can't you do just a simple cake?" you just look him in the eye can calmly say, "No...... No, I can't." icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:39am
post #5 of 11

icon_biggrin.gif Jan I love that quote. I think I am going to do the strawberries. I just love doing them and I hope the kids will also. I am done with the majority of my cakes for the month .. in fact I just have 1 left (for now) to do for Saturday.

Ok... Chocolate stash here I come icon_smile.gif

(((((hugs))))))) thanks guys icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #6 of 11

LMAO that is just about what I told him Deb!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

lynda-bob Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:53am
post #7 of 11

Awwww, they're going to love it, wgoat!

Indydebi, yours sounds like my kid. She went thru that phase until all her friends started oohing and ahhhing and telling me when their birthdays were icon_razz.gif

Kids and Men...Gotta love 'em...I guess icon_lol.gif

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day, all icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 11

I totally get you Christi...when you donate, you don't just want to slap together something, you want it nice.

wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 11

Ohh guys I got the best deal... Wally World had large containers of strawberries (and they are GOOOOD) of strawberries for 1.50 ... I got 5 icon_biggrin.gif

mkolmar Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 11

Donate the cake with strawberries!!!

Your DH would loose his mind if he knew what I donated to my kids schools last week for teacher appreciation week.
I donated 6 pounds of chocolate dipped/white chocolate dipped and marbled strawberries, chocolate dipped pretzels, chocolate dipped marachino cherries, about 50 chocolate dipped oreos (with those cool mold designs) 80 oreo truffles, 6 loaves of amish vanilla-cinnamon bread and a 12x18 cake that was half white and half chocolate cherry with marachino cherries folded in it - covered in BC than vanilla wafer crumbs with white chocolate luster dusted seashells.

Next time he says something shove a strawberry in his mouth and tell him how much I made to get him quiet. It could be poor DH just shakes his head now at me and moves on half the time. icon_lol.gif

deck that cake out in those strawberries girl!!!!!!

jadak Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 11
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Ohh guys I got the best deal... Wally World had large containers of strawberries (and they are GOOOOD) of strawberries for 1.50 ... I got 5 icon_biggrin.gif

I'm so glad you bought them! I think if it's what YOU want to donate. and you can afford to do it, then you should definitely do it. Donations are sometimes where I really go all out because usually noone has asked for anything specific. So, I can have total creative freedom and try things I've wanted to try. So I don't make any money... so what? I make myself feel a little proud and fulfilled and I make other people happy. Can't put a price on that!

Can't wait to see the finished cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%