Need Advice About Wedding Cakes

Decorating By carla4 Updated 12 May 2008 , 3:33am by indydebi

carla4 Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 5

Is it tacky or okay to use box cake for wedding cakes? Also, I wil be doing my first wedding cake in Oct. So far, I have make birthday, and wedding and baby shower, mostly themed cakes. Am I out of my league trying to do a wedding cake, or has this been a natural progression? Can anyone who has done wedding cakes, please explain how they got started?

4 replies
indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #2 of 5

First welcome to CC! YOu will find SO much information on here that you never realized you needed.

The "scratch vs. box" is a friendly on-going debate on here. I've been a box mix baker for 25 years and I have my own shop in a strip mall. Please don't fall into the trap of thinking everything in commercial bakeries and restaurants are made from scratch ... they're not. My best example are those 5-lb boxes of cake mix that GFS and Sysco sells ... they aren't selling them to housewives! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

If people like the taste of your cakes, there is no reason to change just for change's sake. If you want to expand and offer scratch cakes, I'd recommend what many CC'ers have suggested .... work on your recipes until you find the ones that work for you, then add them to your menus.

YOu can also try a doctored cake mix .... lots of good recipes on this site and I'm sure many CC'ers will pop in with some of their favorites and recommendations.

I made my first wedding cake for the son of a family friend. It took off via word-of-mouth from there.

Looking foward to hearing and seeing more from you! thumbs_up.gif

lisa78332 Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 5

I acually progressed from birthday cakes, baby shower cakes, etc to my first wedding cake a few months ago. I was then asked to do a quinceanera cake (which is like a wedding cake) this past weekend for a friend of mine. Take a look at them. I've posted both. Good Luck.

sunfish_dane Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:23am
post #4 of 5

you know what I do? It cuts costs on things like butter/eggs down so much, and it tastes great still...I do half and half...if I'm making a huge cake, I figure out what flavor I'm making (ie chocolate) and then per batch I make from scratch, I buy one box of similar duncan heinz (butter recipe) cake tastes completely homemade, and it cuts time and money costs down!

I know a lot of bakers who don't make anything from scratch...I just feel that scratch anything usually tastes better than the boxes, not that the boxes are at all bad. So that's why I use both. I've found that Duncan Heinz works the best with mixing, the other brands tend to be just a little too runny in the end product. However, I have never bought GFS or Cysco Brands, so I cannot compare the two earlier mentioned.
Hope this helps!

indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #5 of 5

I tried the GFS brand once .... ONCE!! icon_mad.gif Never again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%