Color Gone Wrong

Decorating By healigh Updated 12 May 2008 , 5:02am by servingzero

healigh Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake for this weekend and the colors are light peach and light pink. I bought Creme peach coloring and added, what I thought, was very little to a batch of white buttercreme icing.
The icing now looks way to bright and almost more like a bright pink.

How would I get a peach color and a lighter peach at that?

Thanks everyone! This is my first post!!! icon_smile.gif Love this site.

5 replies
mgigglin Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 6

If you are near a Michaels or any store that sells Wilton products they have a Whitener that you can use. It is usually right next to the frostings on the cake aisle. I have used it to tone down a bright red and got it just where I needed it.
Good luck,

kakeladi Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #3 of 6

Well to save some of your hard work - mix maybe 1/3 cup of your pink/peach to 1 cup white icing. Keep playing w/that combination until you get the shade you are looking for. You might have to add just the tinest bit of yellow to tone down the pink. And I mean tinest just touch a toothpick to the color and mix that into the icing.
This should teach you to start w/the smallest amount of color - you can always add more if necessary but it's hard to lighten it up w/over doneicon_smile.gif

rmbias1 Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:05am
post #4 of 6

If you start a with white buttercream, try adding a good bit of ivory. If I remember correctly, I think that is what I used. Or possibly just a touch of orange.

cuteums Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:55am
post #5 of 6

I made a peach by accident once. I was playing around with colors in my bag - striping and making roses. Well they all mixed together and I got peach. Make a test batch with yellow, pink and white. Try the buttercup yellow - it is orangier than it is yellow. If you are going for pastels add very little as the colors are strong. You may be better off making a small bowl of bright pink and a small bowl of orange and then mixing the colored buttercream into the big batch 1 tsp. at a time and see how it turns out instead of adding the coloring directly to the whole batch.

servingzero Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:02am
post #6 of 6

What about copper? Just a touch (and I mean... a touch!) I always seem to get a light peachy colour.

Quote by @%username% on %date%