Red Velvet - Needs Food Colouring?

Decorating By 73cupcake Updated 18 May 2008 , 3:30am by vmertsock

73cupcake Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:17am
post #1 of 7

Is it absolutely necessary to add red food colouring to a red velvet cake? The color that it ends up doesn't matter, but will it affect how it turns out? I wouldn't think so but . . . .

Also, is MMF any different from the store bought ready made fondant, and if so, how? Thanks!

6 replies
mellormom Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #2 of 7

MMF is made from Marshmallows and tastes much better. Not sure what store fondant ingredients are but I know it doesn't taste very good. Store bought is a little easier to use though. So that is why bakeries use it a lot.

GrandmaG Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:40am
post #3 of 7

Oh Sweety, it is neccessary to add red food coloring to Red Velvet Cake. Otherwise it would be something else. I think the red entices the visual palate. Along with the cream cheese frosting. All are a must! It's D-lish!icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:39am
post #4 of 7

I somewhat agree w/GrandmaG icon_smile.gif
But.......I've used as little as 1/2 oz instead of the 1/2 cup I've seen in some recipes.
As for MMF: to me it's harder to work with. It does improve the taste. I found it 'springy' - when rolled out it would spring back some. I've mixed it w/store bought to get the best of bothicon_smile.gif

Amia Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:17am
post #5 of 7

You definitely need the coloring! icon_lol.gif Thats what makes the cake! And you MUST eat it with the cooked flour and milk icing, otherwise it is just not red velvet cake! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

cb_one Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:48am
post #6 of 7

It does'nt effect the taste if you omit the Coloring and Vinegar, but as others have stated already, its the visuals!

vmertsock Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:30am
post #7 of 7

Not sure if I'm a bit late on this, but I have colleagues (never tried myself) who swear by beet juice. It doesn't affect the flavor (oddly enough) and they get a bright red color. Sorry I don't have a recipe to go along with the idea but it might be worth playing with if you'd rather not use all that red food coloring. I participated in a blind taste test-didn't include the beet idea unfortunately-- and it was determined that the use of a lot of red food coloring imparted a specific, unidentifiable taste that everyone preferred, if they were told they were testing red velvet cakes. Interestingly though when they were just asked to pick their favorite, only a few liked red velvet the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%