Help! Need A Less Sweet Frosting Recipe For Super Rich Cake!

Decorating By sunfish_dane Updated 12 May 2008 , 12:02am by annieliz

sunfish_dane Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 6

So after many trials, I found this perfect recipe for a chocolate cake for a wedding I'm making a cake for in October. I'm relatively new at this, and cannot seem to find a frosting that fits my cakes taste. It's a very rich chocolate cake with chocolate ganache in between the layers, but the customers don't want chocolate frosting, fondant, or chocolate ganache for the topping...I've tried so many different frosting with this cake, and they all end up too sweet! I'm up to try almost anything...I do need to be able to color the frosting, and I am decorating the cake with designs, so I need to be able to use it to make a smooth surface, and also incorporate design into it. If anyone has any ideas, or has gone through something similar, please let me know what I can do! Much appreciated!

5 replies
busymom9431 Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried an icing like Rich's Bettercreme? or Pastry pride? It makes a whipped type of icing but am not too familiar with it so it is only a suggestion. It would be less sweet than most icings but I am not sure how you can decorate with it. Good Luck

annieliz Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

I've just recently fell in love with IMBC. It's very light and a lot less sweet than regular BC. Smooths like a dream and I have trouble getting frosting smooth.

sunfish_dane Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the info...I've never heard of either of these frostings before, and will definitely check them out!

sunfish_dane Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6

I've never made it...like I said I'm new at this. How well does it pipe? Or does it pipe at all?

annieliz Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:02am
post #6 of 6

IMBC pipes well. It doesn't crust like regular BC though. Don't know if you need it to do that. I made it for the first time last night for my mom's mother's day cake and it was pretty easy. I used the recipe from here on CC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%