Pearl Dust

Decorating By AmyGonzalez Updated 12 May 2008 , 2:53am by Texas_Rose

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 3

I'm going to be making my nieces baptism cake in 2 weeks, and I want to make a white 3 tier cake with gold accents. I don't know how, or where to start. I will be using fondant accents, and want them to be gold. Can anyone give me advice on how to do this? I think I could use pearl dust,

but don't really know how. HELP! icon_sad.gif

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #2 of 3

Youc an check at Michaels for Gold Pearl dust. You can paint it on dry or mix it with extract or alcohol and paint it on. If you have a cake supply store in your area you can look for gold luster dust. It comes in many colors.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 3

To make the fondant look really gold, you should start with a pale yellow or dark ivory fondant. Put the accent pieces on the cake, and then paint them.

You can use the Wilton dust from Michael's...that's what I use and it works just fine. Mix it with a clear extract (lemon, almond, clear vanilla) or with vodka...the alcohol will evaporate so it really doesn't matter which you use, and vodka's cheaper. It will dry in a few minutes. I just use plain kids paintbrushes, but wilton sells some designed for cakes, if you want to use them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%