Replica Of A Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Bethroze Updated 12 May 2008 , 4:05am by kakeladi

Bethroze Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 9

I have a customer asking for me to replicate his parent's wedding cake for their 50th wedding anniversary. The picture is a bit blurry. Any help guessing on size of tiers and type of piping decoration would be helpful.

Thanks so much....Beth
LL

8 replies
chutzpah Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 9

Goodness, look at all that elaborate piping!

Can you take the pic to a professional and ask if they can 'clean it up' somehow, emphasize the details?

I really don't know if they can do this IRL, but they're always doing it on CSI!

Bethroze Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 9

As far as the piping goes, I might just go crazy with swags and such. I doubt they can really remember from 50 years ago.

My concern is size. They want to serve 100 people, and they said that there was no way the original would have fed that many. According to Wilton, I could do a 12', 9" and 6" for 100 servings, but I don't think that cake was that large. I own some vintage 1950's cake pans that have a 4" pan, so maybe it is a 4-7-10"? They want this one to be as close to the original as possible, and a sheet cake to slice to get the additional servings needed.

miss_sweetstory Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 9

It's really hard to tell, but could there be a single beveled layer under each tier? And I think those might be sugar bells! And possibly some lily of the valley on the lower right! It also looks like some of the swags are overpiped.

foxymomma521 Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 9

Does this help?
LL

cakequeen50 Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 9

I have an older Wilton wedding cake book with the type of garlands that are shown in your photo. If you want, I will scan some of them and email them to you so you can see them better. I am sure if they are not exact but very close, the client will like them.
Let me know if you want the pics.
Way back when I started decorating, 1976, My Dad taught me and he learned in 1953, so these garlands and piping are very familiar.

Also, there is no way that to is a 4". the bases on the ornaments are 4" so it has to be a 6 or 7" topper.

Bethroze Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 9

If it is not too much trouble, would love to see the Wilton pictures. Also, I might be able to find the book on ebay. Do you have a date on it?

Cakebelle Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #8 of 9

WOW! icon_eek.gif The piping on that cake is so elaborate.........Amazing! Good luck with your project.

kakeladi Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:05am
post #9 of 9

Definately an original Wilton '50s design!! icon_smile.gif
And yes, those would be hand molded sugar bellsicon_smile.gif
And BIG flowers and........tuck'N'Ruffle!
The 12, 9,6 would be just about right. It will look good. In my book that will serve 86 w/o the top tier; 98 when serving all of it.
I suggest a 14; 10; 6. There might be a bit leftover cake but so what?icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%