Omg... Wasc

Decorating By DaisyLisa17 Updated 25 May 2008 , 6:59pm by dandelion56602

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #31 of 49

Wow, this opens a whole new door to me and my newbie-ness!! I cant wait to get into the kitchen this weekend... yum!!

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #32 of 49

I have not tried this cake yet, but I have seen lots of post about it. Is this a good cake to use fondant on? I am looking for a cake that will hold up well with fondant. Please let me know if anyone has used fondant on one of these cakes. I have a couple of weddings coming up in June that I would like to use this recipe on. Thanks!

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #33 of 49

It's a great cake for fondant! I used the choc. version and the structure was great!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:51pm
post #34 of 49

I have tried this recipe using the full, 1/2 and even 1/4. for the 1/4 recipe I just used a scale to measure 1/2 box of cake mix and used 1/4 of everything else. Turned out just fine. This is the only cake I ever baked from a mix, and my customers and co-workers love it.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #35 of 49

OMG...There is a CHOCOLATE version of this cake? Why didn't I know that?! I have been searching for the perfect chocolate cake recipe, and just haven't nailed it down yet. Right now I use the Darn Good Chocolate Cake, but haven't gotten rave reviews like I do with my WASC.

Someone asked earlier about carbonated sodas-put them in straight from the bottle or can. The carbonation helps with the rising, and gives it a very cool taste! I've made a couple of cakes with 7Up in them.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:29pm
post #36 of 49

[quote="summernoelle"]OMG...There is a CHOCOLATE version of this cake? Why didn't I know that?! I have been searching for the perfect chocolate cake recipe, and just haven't nailed it down yet. Right now I use the Darn Good Chocolate Cake, but haven't gotten rave reviews like I do with my WASC.

Ohh-- let us know how the chocoalte version of WASC is compared to the Darn Good CC recipe. I use the DGCC recipe (without the chips) and I love it. But would much like to know which is better. Thank you. If i try it soon- I will post my thoughts! Looking forward to making a wasc cake soon!

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #37 of 49

I started using this recipe about 2 months ago and will NEVER go back to anything else for white cake. I find it to have the taste of an angel food cake but the structure and stability of a regular cake. I too like many others can not stop eating them when they are in my house. I have resorted to the fact that when I make cupcakes and have extra, I have to find someone to give them too or they end up in my mouth!! I tried the chocolate version and wasn't too happy mainly because I didn't get that strong chocolate flavor that I really like in a chocolate cake. I tried removing 1/4 cup of the flour and adding 1/4 cup of cocoa and it was better but still not the perfect chocolate cake - any suggestions?

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #38 of 49

Sgirvan--Thank you for your comments on how the chocolate version of the WASC! Very good to know! I have not suggestions, but appreciate your feedback. If I try it and come up with anything different- i will be sure to share! Thanks again!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #39 of 49

I too wasn't as thrilled w/ the chocolate flavor. I think next time I'll try the Dark Fudge mix instead b/c it's ultra rich to begin with.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:40pm
post #40 of 49

I tried the dark fudge one time and it didn't rise all the way icon_sad.gif , not sure what happened icon_confused.gif . I usually use devil's food for the chocolate version and I think it turns out really good. We ended up breaking up the dark fudge into pieces and put it in a bowl and just ate the scraps without icing (since I had to make a new cake) and it was fabulous.....a very rich chocolate flavor. But I've been too scared to try it again for fear of it not rising again.

I wonder if you could add a box if chocolate pudding to this recipe for more flavor or if it would mess it up? Anyone ever try that?

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #41 of 49

So, I'm making the WASC cake for a friend's daughter's wedding and she asked for cream cheese filling. I personally think that doesn't sound good. Any opinions?

If I end up using just buttercream for the filling will vanilla buttercream be OK or should it have a hint of almond too?

Thanks, Sandra

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #42 of 49

You can use Earlene's Cr Ch Buttercream icing. This recipe is safe to remain unrefrigerated for up to a week so you won't have anhy worriesicon_smile.gif
I definately would add about 1/2 teaspoon almond too.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #43 of 49

I tried the Darn Good Choc. Cake recipe in the CC recipe section and wasn't too thrilled. It was dark and heavy. Most of my testers thought it was just OK. I did however make a choc. WASC and used the almond flavoring and it got rave reviews. I did have one taster that liked the combo of the heavy choc and the light choc. (WASC) together. I am a chocolate lover and wasn't too thrilled also -- I even threw away the excess cut pieces which I never do. Scraps in my house are fair game!! I tried the WASC and am thrilled. It is moist and decadent. I am not a particular fan of almond as it can be overwhelming and have a cherry note, but I keep wanting to eat this cake. It's just soooo wonderful!!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #44 of 49

I need to make a caramel 9x13 (2 layer) cake and was wondering if someone has a good WASC caramel variation?

And, what about a caramel buttercream? I have some delicious caramel icing recipes, but not for decorating....

FaerieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FaerieD Posted 25 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

You can use Earlene's Cr Ch Buttercream icing. This recipe is safe to remain unrefrigerated for up to a week so you won't have anhy worriesicon_smile.gif
I definately would add about 1/2 teaspoon almond too.

Which cream cheese buttercream recipe is Earlene's?

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 25 May 2008 , 3:56pm
post #46 of 49

For the chocolate cake try adding more cocoa and removing the same amount of flour and then instead of water try adding coffee. Maybe that will help intensify the chocolate.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:24pm
post #47 of 49

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/aolchats/980402ch.htm
EARLENEâS BUTTERCREAM ICING
Place 6 lb. Powdered Sugar into a Kitchen aid K5-A mixing bowl
(The 2 lb bowl and the pwd.. sugar should weigh 8 1/4 pounds together)
Make an opening in the center of the powdered sugar with a scoop or large spatula
Pour 1 Cup of water into the center of the powdered sugar in the mixing bowl
Cut into chunks 2/3 lb. of cream cheese (1/4 of a 3 lb. bar of cream cheese )
and warm in the microwave just until cream cheese is warm (About 1 minute)
Add the warm cream cheese to the powdered sugar and water and begin hand
mixing with the beater paddle.
Measure 1 1/4 to 1 1/3 pound of Crisco and work into the sugar, water and
cream cheese mixture a little at a time by hand with the mixer paddle
Add a dollop of Butavan and a dash of salt

When all ingredients are moistened and slightly mixed, place mixing bowl and beater on the mixer and work the air out by starting the motor on slow and lifting the bowl of icing up and down several times until the air is worked out.
Continue beating at a medium speed until smooth and creamy.
Butavan is a thick strong butter vanilla flavoring available in gallon jugs and can be ordered from Watson Foodservice Inc. in Lubbock, TX at 800-775-4207

CCChefDol: Butavan...I don't see why we couldn't just add butter & vanilla flavorings and it would be okay. You can the butavan is just a very strong flavoring
L2jlu2: Pwd- with this icing do you have to keep the cakes in fridge
CCChefDol: then we need to add a LOT of the 2 if we sub I suppose
CCChefPwd: No - you can handle the same for several days. I would not leave it out to long. I have left it out at about 70 degrees for as much as 5 days with no problems

BeckySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckySue Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #48 of 49

icon_lol.gif Loving this forum!! icon_lol.gif

I have never used the choc version of the WASC cake, I use chocomama's Dark Chocolate Cake recipe (link below...) and it is sooo good. Just wondering if anyone has used both of these recipies - how do they compare? Maybe this is just an excuse for me to make some chocolate cakes..... "Honestly Honey - this is RESEARCH!!!" LOL

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2185-1-Dark-Chocolate-Cake.html

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 25 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #49 of 49

I made 1/2 of the chocolate version last night, using DH German Chocolate & sub. 1/4 c cocoa for 1/4 c of the flour. I was much more pleased w/ the chocolate flavor. (I also only had 1/2 c sour cream so I used 1/2 c of vanilla yogurt---all I had at 11 pm UGH!) It was scrumptious & moist! I can't wait to get the chance to try one of the fruit flavored ones!.

As for caramel, you could use caramel flavoring & that way it wouldn't alter the balance of the "science" of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%