Yikes... I May Be In Trouble.

Business By YouCaterer Updated 11 May 2008 , 7:13pm by littlecake

YouCaterer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YouCaterer Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all! I hope I'm posting this in the right place; I have never posted before. I don't have a business but I do make cakes, mostly for fun: baby showers, work functions, etc.

My boss is preggers and wants me to make the cake for her baby shower, which is great... except that I have no idea where to start! The shower is a little less than a month away and she's invited 30 people so I know it won't be super difficult, but I don't even know what size cake(s?) she needs. I told her I'd bring in some options and pricing for her tomorrow and I tried to use Alice's pricing matrix but I don't get it...

Can anybody help me? icon_smile.gif

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 4

Probably the best thing that you could do is to talk to her about what she wants, then tell her that you'll get back to her about the price. That will give you time to think about the cost and the time that it will take so that you can price it correctly and not rip yourself off!

For 30 guests I'd either do a one-layered 9x13 sheet (serves 24) or an 11x15 (serves 35) or a 2-layered 10" round cake (serves 30-35). Or a 9" 2-layered round, which would serve 25-30, Depends on whether she wants more or less cake...If she wants something tiered, you could do a 5" on top of an 8" (two layers each) to serve right around 30.

Don't feel like you have to give her a price right when you talk to her! She might be thinking something totally different that you are, so give yourself some time to think about it before you get back to her.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #3 of 4

check out the galleries of cakes and look at the ones for baby showers. Look at them to see what things you can do without any problem. Then go from there. I always think it gets sticky when you do a cake for a boss since they might think you should do it really cheap. Is she giving her own baby shower? Now if someone else is paying for it then it won't be so sticky. There are some really neat baby cakes that can be done ..one is the baby bump cake. It could be a 9x12 pan with the half ball pan for the bump and two cupcakes for the boobs. That should serve 30 people easily. It also will depend on how big the portions they cut are going to be. For the baby bump cake I would charge around 60 bucks for it....but then that is just me.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 4

a half sheet will do for that....is she having a theme for the party?

rubber duckys are cute for a baby shower...

you could hit images on google...and put in baby shower cake....and a bunch of stuff will come up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%