How Far In Advance...

Decorating By Sun11598 Updated 11 May 2008 , 6:23pm by chestercheeto

Sun11598 Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 3

are you comfortable delivering a cake?

I had a friend contact me for a cake for her ds. She wants it on a Sunday - but we already have plans to be out of town that weekend. I have already told her I'm not comfortable delivering it on Friday to be consumed Sunday. I would just hate it to dry out (or worse) in the 2 days between.

Most of my cakes are box mixes with pudding & an extra egg and decorated with buttercream - so they're ok out...and obviously I wouldn't have offered to do a filling that could ruin.. But just for future reference do you thinkthe cake would have been ok?

2 replies
Tona Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:06pm
post #2 of 3

It would be fine as long as the filling is not going to ruin the buttercream seals the cake and keeps it moist.

chestercheeto Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 3

i would've been nervous about a dry cake too, until a couple weeks ago when i had to make an early delivery.

i delivered the cake on a thursday for a saturday party and they ate the leftovers on sunday and it was still good. it was for my friend's nephew who is allergic to peanuts. i made his last 3 bday cakes and it was really hard to say no.

i used the All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake from the Cake Bible and wilton buttercream (half butter, half crisco). baked and froze on saturday. on wednesday morning, thaw/fill/simple syrup/crumb coat. wednesday night finish decorating. thursday morning delivery.

it was my first time freezing a cake and using simple syrup. i don't even know how the finished product tasted, but my friend reported back that the birthday boy's mom really liked it.

i'll be freezing more cakes from now on. it's so much easier than trying to do the whole cake in 1-2 days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%