What Do I Do?!

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 12 May 2008 , 9:51pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:59am
post #1 of 20

I have a cake order due for tomorrow which is going to be covered in poured chocolate ganache. It is unseasonably hot here (about 75 degrees) and full sun. This cake will have to travel 2 hours to it's destination and I just don't think that the ganache (even well chilled) is going to make it without sweating or melting off the cake! The customer is picking the cake up herself, so I don't know whether her car has air-conditioning.

I have tried to contact her via e-mail but haven't had a reply, and I'm reluctant to phone her as I only have her home phone number and this cake is a 40th birthday surprise for her husband - and I don't want to chance him answering the phone!

I need to contact her because I think the best soloution would be to swap the ganache for dark chocolate fondant, which I could put in the fridge for a couple of hours before she arrives to firm up for the journey, but at least it won't melt off the cake!

So, if I can't get hold of her, do I use my best judgement and go with the fondant, or do the order as planned and hope for the best - help?!

19 replies
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:04am
post #2 of 20

Don't know if this would work or not, but what about buying one of those cheap styrofoam type coolers that they sell in the supermarket? Maybe if you or she can get hold of one (that's large enough) you can put the cake in there with some ice packs underneath the cake and transport it that way.

Sorry if it's a stupid idea, but that's what came to mind.

twooten173 Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:07am
post #3 of 20

First I would call the house. The husband doesn't have to know why you are calling. If you don't get a hold of her, I would assume she has air and go with the ganache.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:11am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Don't know if this would work or not, but what about buying one of those cheap styrofoam type coolers that they sell in the supermarket? Maybe if you or she can get hold of one (that's large enough) you can put the cake in there with some ice packs underneath the cake and transport it that way.

Sorry if it's a stupid idea, but that's what came to mind.

Great idea, but I have never seen them in supermarkets here, and everywhere is closed today (some kind of religious holiday), and tomorrow is a bank holiday, so there is only Sunday opening hours (12-6pm), and she's coming between 10-11am!

Edited to say: Called the house with no answer, I didn't leave a message as I would have to say who I was etc! I have another cake to do for tomorrow (3 tier birthday), so I'll get on with decorating that and then call again.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:22am
post #5 of 20

Sorry, I fogot you weren't in the States. Hmmm, maybe she has a regular cooler? Just an idea. I'm sure if you call her and her hubby answers, you can just ask for her and just give your name and not tell him why you're calling. Heck, even if he does ask, make something up. Say she ordered Avon or something and her order is ready. lol

I was just thinking, maybe you don't even need the cooler. Maybe you can wrap the box in aluminum foil and add ice packs (in plastic bags) under the cake and that can act as an insulator. I'm sort of thinking aloud now. Please forgive me for any stupid ideas as it's four twenty am here now. I've gotta get to sleep now! icon_sad.gif

cakeflake Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:39am
post #6 of 20

I'd call her house anyways and if she doesn't answer just tell whoever does that you are calling about volunteer work at kids school, library etc... if they ask. Most likely they'll just get her without asking why you're calling anyways, and then you could let her know she's going to need a car w/air. Or you could call when she's most likely to be there and if she doesn't answer just say 'sorry wrong number'. I'd be afraid to not use the ganache unless you know her pretty well. People can be so stinky sometimes, they'll complain about anything. You could tell her to make sure she keeps the air on the whole time and then get it to a cool place as soon as she gets home. I haven't used ganache much, but it seems like it should hold up if the air is kept going. Whatever you decide, good luck. This is a sticky one for sure.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:28am
post #7 of 20

Tomorrow all the tuincentrums will be open, they have camping supplies - you can get some plastic cold packs, but they need time to freeze, hmmm...don't know your time frame, would you b e able to pull that off?

If the cake is smallish, possibly can fill a plastic tub w/lid with ice and set your cake container on top of ice. If kept out of direct sun in car, this would work, I imagine. I have been lucky finding ice at highway gas stations, but Makro & Sligro are supposed to be open tomorrow, too. You can get some ice there.

Gosh, wish you luck in this - give us an update afterwards...curious how it'll work out.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:50am
post #8 of 20

She's coming at 10 to pick it up, so I don't think I'd have time to get to the garden centres. I do have some gel ice packs that came with a couple of cake carriers I bought - the cake is a 9x13, so with the board won't fit in the carrier. I'm going to use a large fruit crate, so maybe I can freeze those packs and just put them at the sides of the cake and then cover the whole thing in cling film and foil to reflect the light, or get her to bring light coloured towels to cover the box with - hmmm!

amoos Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:55am
post #9 of 20

Hey, it is warm today. I left a chocolate bar on the counter and it melted yesterday, well not a full melt, but softenend up a bit. Who knows is she has a/c or not, alot of my dutch friends here don't have it. I would try and keep calling her. But if she's dead set on the ganche, once it leaves your hands, it's their responsibility. I have a guy that refused to let me deliver a cake. He picked it up. I told him to drive carefully and put it on the floor board. He put on the seat (GUYS!) and slammed on his breaks. He called to tell me the cake fell apart. When I asked why he told me the whole story. Ok, so what do you want??? LOL It's his fault not mine! Hope she answers her phone. Good luck!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:41am
post #10 of 20

Yeah, we don't have air-conditioning either in the car or the house, so I'd be in the same pickle if we were delivering the cake! It maybe 75 degrees outside, but in our apartment (top floor, so heat rises!!!), it currently 80 degrees in here and there is a great deal of cursing going on as I'm trying to ice a 3 tier cake in all-butter buttercream. Luckily that cake has only a 10-15 minute journey tomorrow, but won't make it anywhere near a fridge before then!

amoos Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:55am
post #11 of 20

Wow.....3rd floor apt! I bet that DOES get hot. We've got a really nice house and it actually stays pretty nice and cool. Plus, the ceiling fan and the 8 standing fans we have, haha. all butter buttercream in this weather, you're a trooper! Reguardless, I'm sure you cake will be super delicious! Happy Mother's Day.....we're off to the lake icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #12 of 20

Well, here's the battle of the buttercream 3 tier I just finished - not my best work but I fully blame the weather!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1219609.html

I still can't get my other customer on the phone. I'll try one more time in an hour or so and then just go ahead and do the ganache and hope I can figure something out with the melting problem!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #13 of 20

Here's the ganache cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1219684.html   

Still haven't gotten hold of the customer, I'm actually quiet worried that she's not going to turn up to collect this cake! Never happened before, but there is a first time for everything! My local (hunky) firemen will benefit if that turns out to be the case lol!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #14 of 20

Just heard from the customer - her brother is coming at 10am in an air-conditioned car to pick the cake up. I've still recommended that he bring something to shield the sun off the cake though - my kitchen can attest to how quickly the ganache melts in the sun lol!

amoos Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:50pm
post #15 of 20

At least she called you back, YAY! And thought of a better option. Well, the cake looks great and now I'm having a chocolate craving. Thanks for ruining my diet icon_smile.gif

Homemade-Goodies Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:53am
post #16 of 20

Ok, don't leave us in suspense....how'd did it go?? icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:14am
post #17 of 20

I have no idea whether it made it or not - I took the cake out of the fridge about 10 mins before he arrived, covered the box with silver foil and off he drove with it in the boot! I haven't heard from my actual customer whether it was OK or whether she liked it or not, but I'll let you know if she does!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:15pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

I have no idea whether it made it or not - I took the cake out of the fridge about 10 mins before he arrived, covered the box with silver foil and off he drove with it in the boot! I haven't heard from my actual customer whether it was OK or whether she liked it or not, but I'll let you know if she does!

The "boot"? Is that the trunk? Hope it all went well. The idea of no air conditioning is just so foreign to me (no pun intended!). I'm glad you were able to rectify the situation and hopefully there were no problems. Let us know what the outcome is if your client ever contacts you. Hopefully it all went smoothly.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #19 of 20

I still haven't heard from that customer, but I delivered my other cake (the girly 3 tier) to that party this afternoon, there were loads of people there and I had loads of compliments. The father took my cards and said he'd do 'good things' for me (I have know idea what that means?!), and the mother informed me that their eldest daughter will be getting married in 2010 with a huge wedding and I will definitely be getting the job of doing that wedding cake - woohoo! I really hope I have my own shop by then, I can't imagine doing a wedding cake for 200-300 people in our little apartment - eek!

Oh, and SPF the 'boot' is indeed what we British call your trunks icon_lol.gif - trunks for us are what men go swimming in or really old fashioned wooden storage/suitcase type things. Funny how the same language can mean something so different somewhere else!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

Oh, and SPF the 'boot' is indeed what we British call your trunks icon_lol.gif - trunks for us are what men go swimming in or really old fashioned wooden storage/suitcase type things. Funny how the same language can mean something so different somewhere else!

Hope you have a place set up by that time. It would be great for you to be working from a shop instead of your apt.

BTW, 'trunk' has the same definitions here with the addition of the car's storage space (I think it's a take-off of the large luggage), and an elephant's nose. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%