I Think I've Become A "cake Snob"... :cry:

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 12 May 2008 , 4:10pm by mbelgard

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:36am
post #1 of 57

Or maybe I can just tell the difference now... (Just a personal note, I do cakes as a hobby, but try to sell them on the side *LEGALLY*, which I can do in Iowa. Just so you know... icon_wink.gif )

Okay, my brother's wedding was today. At the rehersal dinner yesterday, I supplied some yummy, homemade, simply decorated cakes in four different flavors. (I'll post pictures later) I heard nothing but compliments on my newest flavor (strawberries 'n cream filling in white cake with almond cream cheese fondant), and my old standbys were mostly gone as well! Yay! Pretty awesome... And I got paid too, which was also cool!

So today I show up for the wedding, knowing that so-and-so the relative on the bride's side is making the wedding cake. She had to travel, so she brings a dummy cake and some kitchen cakes. I've never actually SEEN a dummy cake at a wedding, just heard about it, so that was kind of interesting! However the cake was...well, I couldn't finish it. I can't say it was BAD per se, I think I've just lost my taste for white cake with Crisco frosting; it tastes like a supermarket cake... Um, yeah.

My sister said that my cakes actually had flavor... Even my BROTHER was impressed with what I do, and I don't see him often, so that was cool! I felt pretty good about my cakes, but then I felt bad about absolutely HATING this other lady's cake! icon_cry.gif So I fed the rest to my 19 month old, who happily ate the evidence...

I don't WANNA be snobby! icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

56 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:45am
post #2 of 57

Aw hunny! I'm a cake snob and make no apologies for it. I am rather proud, in fact!

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:01am
post #3 of 57

Don't feel bad, you're not snobby, just confident. There's nothing wrong with knowing a good QUALITY cake when you taste one. icon_wink.gif Plus, it's not just you who knows how good your cakes are, it's anyone who tastes them. icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:05am
post #4 of 57

Guilty!!!.... icon_redface.gif
Edna

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:35am
post #5 of 57

Guilty as charged, and like Chutzpah, I don't care who knows it! I won't even buy store cakes or cookies for the kids - they only get homemade! My friends take the p*** and call me 'Martha'!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 57

add me to the list. Hubby's nephew had a GRAND reception (I didnt' do the food or cake .... I got to enjoy just being a guest for once! thumbs_up.gif ). And I make no bones about "who wants the rest of this cake?" after I take one bite and can't find a place to spit it out.

jeffer01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeffer01 Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 57

Oh, please don't feel bad! I guess I am a "cake snob" too and that is okay!!! I love cake I love cupcakes....I love them!!! I order dessert before dinner, because I want to see what the cake is like! icon_lol.gif And there is a difference in the taste of cakes!!!

And it is okay to be a snob about it, because you know what you like and you know what is fresh and flavorful thumbs_up.gif and I think that is great!

Remember, I said I love cake...but I have found I turn down more cake than eat it when I see where it comes from....grocery stores. They just aren't as flavorful! And that is okay, saves me calories for what I call "real cake" icon_lol.gif

So stand proud icon_biggrin.gif and serve your wonderful cake and keep bringing more people over to the "cake snob" side!!!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 57

Strawberries and cream that sounds wonderful.

lara3teach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lara3teach Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 57

You're not snobby; you just know the difference between cake and good cake!

Before I got into cake decorating and experimenting with doctoring mixes and making new flavors, I would always ask for pie for my birthday. I'm not much of a 'cake person' I would say politely. Turns out...I love, love, love cake...GOOD cake! icon_lol.gif

BTW, strawberries and cream, almond cream cheese fondant...sounds wonderful!! thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:35pm
post #10 of 57

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You have evolved!!! Welcome to Snobtown USA. We are actually really nice people, we just have elevated standards for this sort of thing. You know, in the same way a construction foreman would look at sloppy siding and shake his head. Or the guys at OCC would look at a sloppily assembled bike and get ticked. It doesn't make you bad... it makes you distinguished.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 57

I'm a member of Snob Town also. Elections for the board of Cakes Not Good Enough (CNGE for short) will start soon so get your apps in early ladies and gents. I don't plan on running but am interested in how the race will turn out.

I don't even like cake anymore to be honest. I've made 2 experiment cakes now that people have raved about and I don't see why. (Made a chocolate-cherry cake with marachino cherries cut up in it and a French Vanilla-almond cake) It takes a lot for me to eat cake anymore. I prefer fruit with fresh cream instead. I think I'm just around it too much. I do appreciate a homemade cake and always try wedding cakes though.

indydebi Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 57

mkolmar, we dont' do cake much anymore either....

Friend: "Bet you guys have cake at your house all the time!"

Debi: "Bet we dont'!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 57

I'm also a cake snob, so let me join the club! I'll move to snob town anytime if it means that I'll never have to eat a piece of c**p masquerading as cake.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:51pm
post #14 of 57

Every time I have someone elses cake, I'm like "Man, I am GOOD." icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 57

I founded Snobtown!! icon_razz.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 57

Oh welcome to the family.. join the cake snob commune. I am a total cake snob and I make no apologies for it either. icon_biggrin.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:09pm
post #17 of 57

I am also a member of Snobtown. But I try to always respect others. I just like good moist cakes.

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #18 of 57

Add me to the list of proud snobs! I just can't/wont eat a slice of grocery store cake, and I can't help comparing everyone elses cake...to each other and to mine. I'm not judging as much as taking notes, always trying to pick up new tricks. Don't feel bad, it's in our blood!

chutzpah Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #19 of 57

Everyone is welcome in Snobtown. The more the merrier. Belly up to the bar, I'm buying the first round!

staceyssweettreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyssweettreats Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 57

Can I join the club? I don't eat cake much either. But, when I do, I am mostly disappointed. The only cake I will buy and eat is a Triple SINsational chocolate cake from a restaurant nearby. If I did make that, I would eat the whole cake by myself!

indydebi Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:16pm
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

Every time I have someone elses cake, I'm like "Man, I am GOOD." icon_biggrin.gif

I LUV this!!! Gonna start using it! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #22 of 57

Ooooh!! I'll take a shot (or 3). icon_wink.gif

Dondi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dondi Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #23 of 57

Sometimes I find that i make so much cake that it is hard to eat cake when i go out.
If you don't mind sharing, how do you make strawberries and cream filling and almond fondant. They sound delicious!!!!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #24 of 57

I also love the "Man, I am good" phrase............can I borrow it too?
I was a member of Snobtown before I could even make cakes.

chutzpah Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:33pm
post #25 of 57

What's your poison, ladies and gents!!??

I have a couple of pitchers of ice-cold margaritas up for grabs!

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #26 of 57

can I get my passport stamped when I move to snobtown??

chutzpah, ill take a bahama mama thank you icon_wink.gif

being a cake snob makes it a lot easier to stick to a diet icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #27 of 57

I didn't know the town had a name! icon_lol.gif "Snobtown." Hmm... maybe a little pretentious? Might keep people from wanting to move here. How 'bout calling it: "Discernment Junction - where one chooses to move when mediocrity is no longer acceptable." icon_lol.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #28 of 57

Wow! I feel better already, being in such distinguished company! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all the nice comments! I agree about the diet thing, I'll just "save up my calories" for something melt-in-your-mouth! Hee hee hee...

Oh, my cream cheese fondant recipe is here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586285-.html

And for my filling, I used 2 cups whipped cream, 1 cup powdered sugar, 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 tsp unsweetened koolade mix, and sliced up fresh strawberries in it... Mix the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and koolade, then fold in the whipped cream. You could dice the strawberries INTO the mix, or slice them on top... SOOOO fluffy good!

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #29 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

You have evolved!!! Welcome to Snobtown USA. We are actually really nice people, we just have elevated standards for this sort of thing. You know, in the same way a construction foreman would look at sloppy siding and shake his head. Or the guys at OCC would look at a sloppily assembled bike and get ticked. It doesn't make you bad... it makes you distinguished.

DITTO,DITTO,DITTO icon_wink.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #30 of 57

Count me in!!!!!!! I'm a citizen of snobtown too! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%