Freaked Out.

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:59pm by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:24am
post #1 of 8

I had a bad baking week this week. Everything I touched seemed to turn to poop. (Even got a speeding ticket wrote for 5 mph over) I managed to recover from everything but the small stupid little cake from tapedshut.gif . My sons teacher asked for a cake very short notice. Her SIL makes wonderful cakes but was unable to do it last minute. I came home Friday morning and baked the cake. It sank in the center. The cake was ever so slightly warm, hardly could even tell so I thought "Screw it, I'm short on time" and I put it on a small board and began to decorate. Not my best work but it was alright. Went to lift the cake to put in the box and that's when I noticed the board was wet. The cake must have been warmer than I thought since it wasn't cooled properly. I freaked and put another cake board under it and boxed it to deliver to her by 3:10 when school gets out. I only charged $10 for the cake since I was so upset by it. I was honest with her and told her what happened. She didn't care and said that it was extremely short notice and she understands.

The party was at 5:30 the same day as delivery. Do you think the cake was more than likely ruined since it wasn't cooled properly?

I'm really worried about this. I honestly should have said no to this cake but wanted to help her out because she is such a wonderful teacher for my son. I think I only made things worse and after noticing the cake board was wet should have said that the cake wasn't up to par and she would need to stop somewhere to pick a cake up instead. I'm afraid I just killed my reputation for cakes and ruined her daughters birthday party. I feel awful. I'm worried to face her on Tuesday when I take my son to kindergarten.

7 replies
Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #2 of 8

I'm sure it's not as bad as you think. We are our own worst critics. Hope the next week goes better for you icon_lol.gif

AdeleP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdeleP Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:45am
post #3 of 8

Aww hun, don't beat yourself up over it, I'll bet it's not as bad as you think. All will be fine thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, I hope you are both right.

mkolmar Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 8

Update: Heard from the teacher today. Her daughter and friends loved the cake. She said it was obvious how much care I took in the details (or as I like to say covering my mistakes with flare). They all loved the cake itself too. Her DH said it was one of the best cakes he ever tasted. WHEW! I can stop shaking with fear now about having an upset customer and school teacher at me. I feel like a boulders been lifted off of my shoulders.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:15am
post #6 of 8

Aww, I'm sorry you were so worried and am glad it worked out!

AdeleP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AdeleP Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:43am
post #7 of 8

I'm really pleased everything worked out well, you can breath now. Praise aswell, well done!! thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%