Freezing Sugar Cookies For!!!

Baking By umabdurrahman Updated 21 May 2008 , 1:15pm by KHalstead

umabdurrahman Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:15am
post #1 of 19

i need to step by step, ABC talking to a 2 year old (LOL) method on how to freeze decorated sugar cookies. i have two weddings very close together and i need to freeze the cookies without fear of them going bad. does mmf work well, or all RI. please help!!
thanks everyone

18 replies
Confectionary2 Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:46am
post #2 of 19

I have frozen many of the RI decorated cookies. Just lay them out in a single layer when you first put them in the freezer. After they are frozen then gently arrange them. As far as the MMF I don't think you are supposed to freeze them, but maybe someone else can help on that one! HTH!

mgigglin Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:52am
post #3 of 19

I haven't used MMF but have done Satin Ice and froze them. When I freeze my NFSC I let them dry for a day or so (expecially with RI) then I carefully ctack them in my freezerware tuppereware with a sheet of wax paper in between each layer of cookies. I haven't hav any problems with doing this, just remember that when you thaw them to LEAVE them in the container on the counter all wrapped up with the lid on. When you thaw them like this the condensation goes to the paper and not on the cookie. Learned that right here on CC!

Good luck,

dandelion56602 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:08am
post #4 of 19

Another option is Rolled Buttercream. I always cut out & freeze the shapes & cookies (separate or already put on) & then do the detailing all at once w/ RBC after they thaw. Pretty yummy too! (more so than fondant or plain RI, IMO)

melysa Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #5 of 19

i DEFINATELY would not freeze the mmf - it gets slimey. satin ice however, freezes well. follow the tip by mgigglin on drefrosting, it works.

michellesArt Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 19

what if you were to wrap the decorated cookies in bags and then put them in the freezer? or is it better to just freeze in single layers inbetween wax paper...oh how long does it take to thaw? (i have an order coming up-60 cookies-not big but big enough and want to make sure they'd be okay) thanks-gotta love doing the work ahead of time or in smaller more manageable batches

mgigglin Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:55am
post #7 of 19

you should be able to seal them in individual bags just make sure they are completely dry before putting them in the bag. You don't wnat them to stick to the bag. That would be bad. Leave them inthe container to thaw. Do not remove them. I usually leave them out on the counter for the afternoon to thaw and they are ok by the time I am ready to package them.

Good Luck,

nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:03am
post #8 of 19

This is what I do..I bake, decorate, (with satin ice and royal) let them dry for a day ot two..then I bag and tag each one of them. The I put them into a tupperware like container. Then I wrap that with saran, and foil..

To defrost..I just take the container out of the freezer, and I leave it on the counter overnight..they are always fine!!

KHalstead Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 19

these cookies were covered in antonia74's royal icing and I painted on them once they were hard then laid them on a foam core board (any cake board or cookie sheet or whatever you have will do) and then put parchment paper over top, then another layer of cookies, more parchment and so on......I only had about 5 layers total. Then wrapped the whole thing in saran wrap and then heavy duty foil and froze for about 2 weeks.......pulled them out of the freezer, let them sit on top of the fridge for the day.....that night, unwrapped and checked em' out and they were exactlly the same as when I put them in the freezer.....there was no excess moisture or fact this picture is an after freezing photo!

umabdurrahman Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:55am
post #10 of 19

thanks KHalstead. your cookies look great! how are they painted?

tchrmom Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 19

I have frozen MMF. The kids on my son's basketball team didn't seem to mind. I didn't look that closely at them, but I don't think they were slimy-- or maybe they just dried.

dandelion56602 Posted 17 May 2008 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 19

If you have time do a trial. Bake, decorate & freeze then thaw. If you don't have time now do it for the future & you'll know. When you thaw (like previously posted) do it in the container.

gottabakenow Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 19

wow i love those cookies! gorgeous!

linedancer Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 19

I freeze my mmf cookies all the time. Sometimes I bag and tag them first, sometimes, just layer them in between wax paper, depends on what I am going to do with them. They also travel well after being frozen. Made cookies about three weeks ago, bagged and froze them. This was in Fl. Took them to OH by car, had a nice party. Any I have ever frozen have come out of the freezer looking just as good as going in. This includes edible image cookies, have frozen them using the same method. Just be sure you leave them in the container and covered when thawing.

cookieswithdots Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:44am
post #15 of 19

dandelion56602, am I understanding that you bake, put on the rolled buttercream and then freeze, doing the detais later?

I usually freeze my cookies, then put the rolled buttercream on and decorate. I would love to try how to your cookies-- would sure save me time. I have a wedding coming up and I'm trying to figure out my timing.

BarbaraK Posted 20 May 2008 , 10:52am
post #16 of 19

Just wanted to add that when I defrost my decorated cookies (either RI or fondant) I always lay them in a single layer on a cooling rack and have never had a problem with them. Even the difficult red coloured RI never bled.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #17 of 19

KHalstead, please - would you mind sharing your technique of painting cookies like this with RI? I'm astounded, they are sooo beautiful!!

lovethecake Posted 21 May 2008 , 4:17am
post #18 of 19

Thanks every one for sharing your knowlge

KHalstead Posted 21 May 2008 , 1:15pm
post #19 of 19
Originally Posted by umabdurrahman

thanks KHalstead. your cookies look great! how are they painted?

just with americolor gels and a paintbrush, couldn't be simpler.

Quote by @%username% on %date%