My Husband --Let's See What Happens

Decorating By mkolmar Updated 12 May 2008 , 7:41pm by mkolmar

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:55am
post #1 of 11

My husband told me today that he wants to make our daughters birthday cake. He's never baked a cake before or decorated one (other than helping me slightly). He just really wants to do it and seriously wants to learn. The problem is he work about 65+ hours a week and is worried he won't have time. I told him to freeze the cakes up to 2 weeks in advance since he also wants to do the baking. You should have seen his face when he said "You can do that?". (I laughed inside). I think it's very sweet he wants to do this. Now comes the kicker.....our daughter wants a 3D Pokemon (pekacho -sp?) cake that's strawberry-chocolate and vanilla. He's already told me that he needs to make up black fondant for accents, use rice crispy treats for the ears and he needs to make the tail out of gumpaste...all of which he's never worked with before. (shoot, I'm shocked he knew that!)

Anyways I see this going one of 2 ways: a) he'll do it and it will look great since he's good with detail.
or b) He'll give up shortly in and say "Melissa, you do it" in a huff and walk off to supervise over my shoulder.

(I'm no pro and am trying to practice--this cake was suppose to be a real big leap of faith for me and for me to gain more skill, but I'm willing to let him try. I'm really hoping he gets to do it since he's so interested in cakes right now. I have a feeling if he focused on it he would be great at it. He's really good at artistic things and computer work.)

10 replies
bwonderful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bwonderful Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:02am
post #2 of 11

I think that's awesome! I wish he would wear off on my DH....

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:58am
post #3 of 11

Just think....if he does well on it he'll realize how much work you put into doing this and ...if he doesn't do well he'll realize how much effort goes into doing this. Either way this is great, if he does well and enjoys it he can help you out, if not then he'll really appreciate what you do! It's a win, win situation for you I think!

I think my hubby would try like to try as well but he's super busy with work, the kids and his hobbies that he just can't fit in the time. I have however caught him taking my bag of icing and decorating one of the spare cupcakes for himself (and then telling me that his was better than mine LOL)!!!

I hope your DH enjoys himself!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:59am
post #4 of 11

BTW: please let us know how it turns out, does he complete it or do you???

P.S. I love what you've written for your location icon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:08am
post #5 of 11

I think it's great that he wants to try this. I know my own hubby would love to try his hand at some baking and decorating but his free time - which is non-existent - won't allow it. He does help me out occasionally though.

Well, good luck - to your hubby, I guess. Hope it all goes well. Let us know how he and Pikachu fare!

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:09am
post #6 of 11

I bought some dummies recently and DH decided that he was going to have a go at decorating (didn't want my help), he covered two tiers in fondant (actually not too bad a job considering it was his first go) and wrapped some ribbon around each tier & taped it with sticky tape icon_surprised.gif before deciding that cake decorating was "boring". I come back to find that he'd left mess everywhere including a big lump of fondant on the bench that was dry and crusty icon_rolleyes.gif

mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 11

I think you are all right, it's a win win situation. I'll make sure to tell you what happens on our daughters birthday which is May 31st and how Pikachu fairs. I'm hoping he'll have enough time to do it since his work schedule is insane.
He use to hate it when I made cakes but since December he's really started to become interested. In fact I've been saving up for an airbrush and he's trying to decide if buying it now would be better so he can use it for the cake. I honestly think he just wants an airbrush to play with and I would never get to use it. icon_lol.gif (so maybe your DH will change his mind bwonderful). His favorite decorator is Mike from Mikes Amazing Cakes.
Ozcakes- My goodness it sounds like your DH left you with one heck of a mess.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #8 of 11

Wow...that's fantastic...I, too, would love to see the finished cake.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 11

Hey give us guys some credit! icon_wink.gif At least hes trying.
Since I started my wife won't bake at all...

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb_one

Hey give us guys some credit! icon_wink.gif At least hes trying.
Since I started my wife won't bake at all...

Credit given! lol

Oh, and everyone knows the blue pills are a lot more fun! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) lol icon_lol.gif

Ignorance is bliss! What were you thinking?

mkolmar Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:41pm
post #11 of 11

Don't worry cb_one, I have total faith in him. (Okay, maybe 2/3 faith)

Sugar plum--couldn't agree with you more, those blue pill are more fun. (that's my DH's favorite movie)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%