Icing Good For Piping And Such...

Baking By chefdot Updated 14 May 2008 , 2:03pm by SeriousCakes

chefdot Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:05am
post #1 of 7

When you watch the cake challenges on Food TV I notice how easily they pipe things on the cakes... and such a fine line of it too. Any idea what kind of icing they use to do that? Mine that I make I think is way too thick to use for it and was wondering if anyone else had some suggestions??? icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Sugarflowers Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:18am
post #2 of 7

For finer and smoother piping, add a small amount of corn syrup to your frosting. Add just enough until the frosting peaks without breaking. It should be smooth and have just a slight shimmer to it.

p.s. By the way, this is for buttercream. For Royal, strain the frosting through a clean knee-high hose.

SeriousCakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #3 of 7

Yes, corn syrup makes a WORLD of difference! Everything is smoother with it thumbs_up.gif

chefdot Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 7

How much corn syrup to you usually use?

SeriousCakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #5 of 7

Depends, maybe about a tbs per 3 cups.

chefdot Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 7

cool serious_cakes... thanks! I will try it.
Could you use the frosting with the syrup in it for roses or will they not stand up well or dry at all?

SeriousCakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 7

If your frosting was really stiff to start they should be alright, if not take some of the frosting out for your roses before you add the corn syrup. lol-I pipe mine right on the cake so it doesn't matter too much if my frosting is a little thin:

Quote by @%username% on %date%