What Is The Best Recipe For Bc Roses?

Decorating By boothgirlz Updated 11 May 2008 , 5:25am by Sugarflowers

boothgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boothgirlz Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:24am
post #1 of 7

which recipe is best for making buttercream roses? I am using the wilton recipe and my roses look too dry and they feather out on the top of the petals. I can't seem to find the right recipe to make pretty roses.
Thanks
Leann

6 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #2 of 7

This will sound crazy, but using Rice Milk for the liquid in shortening only frosting makes beautiful roses. They have perfect petals and are translucent. It's a medium consistency, but pipes roses like a stiffer frosting.

2 cups shortening
1/2 tps. salt
2 tsp. clear vanilla
1/3 cup Rice Milk
2 lbs. powdered sugar.

Blend the first 4 ingredients; add the powdered sugar and beat slowly until just combined. Then beat for one minute on medium speed of heavy duty mixer or high for hand mixer.

I discovered this by accident while teaching a class. I used some leftover frosting from a dairy-free cake when I was teaching roses. My BC roses are usually fair at best. This time they came out beautifully!

HTH

Michele

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:42am
post #3 of 7

Where do you find rice milk? Does this frosting taste well? What about using it to frost a cake?

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:00am
post #4 of 7

Great question to ask as I've not been able to get my roses to come out right at all not even after 2 1/2 years of practicing lol.

Sugarflowers Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:06am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

Where do you find rice milk? Does this frosting taste well? What about using it to frost a cake?

Rice Milk can usually be found in the baking section of the grocery store, near the powdered milk. It can also be found in health food stores. Many times it is located in the allergy-free section of the store. It comes in a rectangular carton and can be frozen.

As for the taste, it's actually quite good. The rice milk is a little bit sweet and very mellow. I think it makes a great frosting.

HTH

Michele

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:08am
post #6 of 7

is the rice milk then powdered itself?

would it be similar to using soy milk? they even make soy milk with vanilla flavorings so i am wondering about that?

Sugarflowers Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:25am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

is the rice milk then powdered itself?

would it be similar to using soy milk? they even make soy milk with vanilla flavorings so i am wondering about that?

The Rice Milk is liquid. It is just usually displayed with the powdered milk.

Personally, I don't like soy milk. It tastes like beans to me. I don't know if it would work the same for making roses. I guess you would just have to give it a whirl. icon_smile.gif I don't like the taste of milk in general, but if I had to drink milk, I would drink the rice milk. I tried it by itself and I didn't gag. As you might have guessed, I'm kind of a picky eater. According to my parents, I hated milk as a baby and refused to drink it. icon_lol.gif

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%