Company Moving Cake / Architectural Buildings Out Of Cake?

Decorating By imartsy Updated 11 May 2008 , 10:31pm by superstar

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 9

So it's only a possibility right now - nothing set it stone... but I've been asked if I could do a cake for 100 people - to celebrate several different groups in our company moving to a brand new, updated, floor of our corporate building. I have no idea what to do..... I thought it would be really awesome if I could do the building out of cake.... but I think that will take me more time than I have - especially b/c I have no idea how to do that....

Other than that, I wasn't coming up with any really creative ideas.... we're a health insurance company and I work with the web pages and new media there. Anyone got any great ideas?

8 replies
kimmy37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmy37 Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:51am
post #2 of 9

hmmmm.... maybe something with packing boxes?? Or... an elevator door with the nuber of their new floor "lit" up?

imartsy Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 9

Hmm I kinda like the moving boxes idea....

I really wish I had time to do the building.... the building we're moving to... out of cake. I'm not even sure where I'd start though.... anyone know how to make buildings out of cake? I'll attach a picture of the building....
LL
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 9

Well you have a couple of options. First, you can colorflow a picture of the building. Scott Woolley has a cake where he did just that in his book. The other thing you could do is try to actually replicate the building in cake -- in the galleries there was a gal who did that with a newly remodeled kitchen (to scale no less!) I forget who did that but she did an amazing job. If you can find that pix in the galleries, you might PM her for more info. Hope that gives you a starting point anyway! icon_smile.gif

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #5 of 9

This shouldn't be too hard to sculpt...this is what I would do. Start with lots of square 8 or 10" cakes. Stack as tall as you want it, but make sure and put a cake circle under every 2nd one. You can also make a stuctual componet by buying a thick piece of lumber to have as the cake board, cut a hole in the middle using a spade bit about 1/4-1/2 inch. Then glue a pvc female threaded coupler into the cake board. Then glue a male threaded coupler to a piece of pvc the height of the cake you desire and thread it into the cake board....there is your sturctual componet. Slide your cake squares and cake circles over the pvc pipe until you reach your desired hieght, making sure to torte as you go. Cover with a thin layer of BC and then start carving until you obtain the shape of the building. Cover with BC and then fondant. Then start your detail work! I think it would make an AWESOME cake!!! You will surely have enough for 100 people and with the cake circles being under every 2nd cake, it will make cutting easy! thumbs_up.gif

Good luck, go for it, you can do it!!! icon_biggrin.gif

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:57am
post #6 of 9

I would make the building as a topper. Make the building out of RK treats, cover with sugar paste, you could then make a large rectangular cake, cover it with fondant (of your choice), make it look like the area around the building. Place the finished building on top & make & place trees etc around the building as per the picture.

kelleyinco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyinco Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:24am
post #7 of 9

I just make the Empire State building out of rice crispie treats and put it on top of a large square cake... it was way easier than I thought it would be. I used a large piece of plywood for the base, screwed down a plumbing flange, screwed in a piece of threaded sturdy plastic plumbing pipe to run up the middle of the building and there ya go... easy. I made something like 12 batches of RC treats

imartsy Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #8 of 9

wow all of your ideas sound great... didn't even think of making it as a topper to something....

I'm a little challenged when it comes to the pvc pipe and screwing things together and cutting holes and stuff - i wish I knew more about that stuff - they should have a "cake construction" class...... icon_smile.gif I'll look into it - I think it would be really fun! Although there are a lot of details... I wonder how long it might take me to do - I'd hate to do it and it end up looking bad.... or leave out some minor detail that everyone ends up noticing...

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 9

To make that bulding as a topper, you wouldn't need PVC pipe, a dowel would do just fine & you could attach it with a small nail from underneath a cake board into a sugarpaste plaque & then into the dowel. The building would then use the plaque as a base. I am not so good at describing 'how to' so I hope this helps. You don't have to make it so big.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%