Wood Grain Effect

Decorating By karateka Updated 11 May 2008 , 2:04pm by karateka

karateka Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #1 of 7

I have a minor problem...

I need to make a wood table out of fondant. But I can't find a wood grain impression mat or roller, except for the clapboard impression mat, and that's not the effect I want. My "table" is 2ft square, so I need something to make the fondant look like a nice wood table.

Any suggestions? The places I've looked for a fondant roller in "wood grain" are all out of stock. I googled and looked in about 40 places, it seems like...

6 replies
norma20 Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:41am
post #2 of 7

Michaels has 6" rubber stamp that is very good.

leah_s Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 7

Check Lowes or Home depot for a "graining tool" in the paint dept.

karateka Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 7

I was just in MIchaels today....is it in the art department? It wasn't in cake decorating!

I never thought of Lowe's or HD. I'll check there, too, thanks!

leah_s Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:23am
post #5 of 7

Yes, I have seen it in the art department at my Michaels. But I'll bet its cheaper at the hardware store.

Sarsi Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:23am
post #6 of 7

You can also use a 1" chip brush....paint with the narrow side in short strokes....look in my photos...ummm...the garden theme cake and the farm cake(fence) and the "reverie harp".... It doesn't look as nice as the roller method, but I've been happy with it and so have my customers!

karateka Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone...off to Lowe's I go, it's very close.

Sarsi, that garden cake is too cool. And that is pretty much exactly how I want my table to look.

Quote by @%username% on %date%