Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By courtney1009 Updated 31 May 2008 , 6:32pm by shisharka

courtney1009 Posted 11 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #1 of 6

Is there a way to get swiss meringue buttercream to be white? I have americolors super white. Would adding that to the frosting work? Or will it just water it down?

5 replies
bakerfairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:45am
post #2 of 6

I would really love to know the answer to this question as well. I can't stand shortening-based icings, and I can't live without my SMBC, but so many people ask for a pure white frosting!

courtney1009 Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 6

Well I tried to dye my SMBC white with Americolors but it didn't work. So at least we ruled that out.

thecakebox Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 6

Mine always comes out white, you need to use a very good quality butter that is just very pale yellow and you should have no problems. HTH

shisharka Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 6

I use Trader Joeâs unsalted butter, and the SMBC ends up pretty whiteâ¦
Something you might want to try is whipping the butter for several minutes, with just a touch of powdered sugar. Then add it to the meringue⦠I havenât made my SMBC this way, but I have whipped butter for a long time for other types of buttercream, and the longer it gets whipped, the smoother and whiter it becomes.

shisharka Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 6

Oh, something else Iâve seen discussed here on CC is adding a tiny drop of violet (I think?!) to the icing⦠apparently violet (?!) cancels yellow⦠Never tried it, but it was on a thread about the best advice found in these forumsâ¦

Quote by @%username% on %date%