Cleaning Large Pastry Bags.

Business By Rhienn Updated 13 May 2008 , 3:13am by Jenn123

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 10

Is there some trick to this that I don't know? I have the HUGE Ateco pastry bags. They're the waxed canvas kind and work perfectly for cupcakes (which take a boat load of frosting and filling.) However, I can not figure out how to dry the darn things after I wash them. They're always dampish forever. It's gross. I considered throwing them in the clothes dryer but I'm not sure what that would do to the waxed part on the inside. I've tried running them through the dishwasher with the heat dry setting on and it doesn't get them dry.

I'm known to miss the obvious occasionally... anyone able to fill me in? icon_rolleyes.gif

9 replies
littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 10

i use the same kind...i just hang them on the rack over the sink to dry...that are dry by the next day

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:53am
post #3 of 10

Hmmm...what does your sink have that mine doesn't? icon_confused.gif

I've come back to them a few days later and they're still damp. They start to smell musty. Ick.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:23am
post #4 of 10

Here's my tip... buy the disposable ones! Not the crappy wilton ones, good ones that are non slip. They come in all sizes even 20 inches. I LOVE them and I never have to wash those darn things ever again!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #5 of 10

Disposable are my favorites!! I love the Kee-Seal bags. http://www.keeseal.com/ I have tired the ultra, and a lot of decorators like them b/c you can get a better grip on the, but I prefer their original smooth ones, but that is a personal preference.

However I do use one 18" bag for my icer tip and I turn it inside out to wash, then to dry I stand them up (open them up until they stand on their own) The inside (which is out right now) dries within a couple of hours and then I turn it back so the inside is inside again and stand again for another couple hours to dry. Someday I will have someplace to let mine hang.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 10

peacockplace- I hate the disposables because they are slippery or too flexible. What kind aren't??

Rheinn- How about a string and clothes pins? You could make something temporary that you can hang across your sink. If you get them to stay open, they shouldn't take too long to dry.

Maybe hanging them under the fan intake of your stove to get the air moving around them? They could drip into a pan or something like that.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 10

I hung a little hook (command strip kind - cheap and won't ruin anything) on the front of the cabinet that is above my sink. All the bags hand there from that little loop and they drip dry into the sink.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 10

Like others, I turn mine inside out and set it on a towel to dry then turn it right side to finish drying. If it's not dry when I'm ready for it to be dry, I just use a tea towel to finish drying it.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:12am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

peacockplace- I hate the disposables because they are slippery or too flexible. What kind aren't??

I know I am not Peacock, but the Kee-Seal Ultra bags are not slippery, they have a rough (but not uncomfortable) outside to help with the grip, sometimes when I am trying to slid my hand down the bag to push the icing down there is to much of a grip... but it is really nice.

I am almost positive you can request a free sample of the ultra bags off of the kee-seal site (see post above for link)

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #10 of 10

Thanks! I've already filled out my request form. I can' wait to try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%