Icing Turned Off White...

Decorating By momofjil Updated 12 May 2008 , 2:37pm by momofjil

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 12

I use the 0 trans fat recipe from this site. I use Crisco shortening, Domino sugur and Dream Whip. My icing is not white, it is off white. Any ideas? Thanks!

11 replies
regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 12

Learned this trick from cc, take a test sample and add the tiniest smidgeon of violet. It should give the illusion of being whiter. HTH

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 12

Have you made this recipe before? It would have to be the dream whip. In any case, you can either try adding a bit of violet or stir in bright white food color.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 12

Do you use vanilla in your recipe? If so, use the clear vanilla.

Otherwise, from your ingredients listed, you should end up with a pure white icing.

If this doesn't help, maybe someone else can come up with some suggestions.

HTH icon_smile.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 12

adding a touch of violet should do the trick. icon_wink.gif

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 12

sounds to me like you might have used regular vanilla, not clear vanilla. i make this recipe all the time and it's pure white as long as i use clear vanilla. if i use the regular stuff, it ends up looking ivory. it's not the dream whip.

momofjil Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #7 of 12

Violet icon_eek.gif I would never have thought of that. I will try that. I do use clear vanilla, white crisco, domino powdered sugar. Butterflywings - I can't believe yours is not a little off white. Mine matches the off white tile in my kitchen! Thanks everyone!

momofjil Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #8 of 12

Violet icon_eek.gif I would never have thought of that. I will try that. I do use clear vanilla, white crisco, domino powdered sugar. Butterflywings - I can't believe yours is not a little off white. Mine matches the off white tile in my kitchen! Thanks everyone!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofjil

I use the 0 trans fat recipe from this site. I use Crisco shortening, Domino sugur and Dream Whip. My icing is not white, it is off white. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mine is a little off white too... I used Indydebi's BC recipe. It is wonderful but the color was not as white as a regular just Crisco, no dream whip, BC. I did use the clear vanilla, but I think the dream whip must add a little of a cream color to the BC.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:53pm
post #10 of 12

was your crisco old? I think this icing looks whiter/brighter than regular icing and I've had CC'ers PM me with the same comment. icon_confused.gif

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

was your crisco old? I think this icing looks whiter/brighter than regular icing and I've had CC'ers PM me with the same comment. icon_confused.gif

Wow... my Crisco was very fresh. I wonder what could be the problem then? I still love your recipe - I think it is a great buttercream and it holds up great!

momofjil Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 12

Ok, I made a second batch of icing with only 2 Tbs of Dream Whip. It was definitely more white. Indydebi, are there different dreamwhips? My crisco was fresh, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%