Icing Turned Off White...

Decorating By momofjil Updated 12 May 2008 , 2:37pm by momofjil

momofjil Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:53pm
post #1 of 12

I use the 0 trans fat recipe from this site. I use Crisco shortening, Domino sugur and Dream Whip. My icing is not white, it is off white. Any ideas? Thanks!

11 replies
regymusic Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 12

Learned this trick from cc, take a test sample and add the tiniest smidgeon of violet. It should give the illusion of being whiter. HTH

MacsMom Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 12

Have you made this recipe before? It would have to be the dream whip. In any case, you can either try adding a bit of violet or stir in bright white food color.

KrisD13 Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 12

Do you use vanilla in your recipe? If so, use the clear vanilla.

Otherwise, from your ingredients listed, you should end up with a pure white icing.

If this doesn't help, maybe someone else can come up with some suggestions.

HTH icon_smile.gif

diane Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 12

adding a touch of violet should do the trick. icon_wink.gif

butterflywings Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 12

sounds to me like you might have used regular vanilla, not clear vanilla. i make this recipe all the time and it's pure white as long as i use clear vanilla. if i use the regular stuff, it ends up looking ivory. it's not the dream whip.

momofjil Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #7 of 12

Violet icon_eek.gif I would never have thought of that. I will try that. I do use clear vanilla, white crisco, domino powdered sugar. Butterflywings - I can't believe yours is not a little off white. Mine matches the off white tile in my kitchen! Thanks everyone!

momofjil Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #8 of 12

Violet icon_eek.gif I would never have thought of that. I will try that. I do use clear vanilla, white crisco, domino powdered sugar. Butterflywings - I can't believe yours is not a little off white. Mine matches the off white tile in my kitchen! Thanks everyone!

MessiET Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofjil

I use the 0 trans fat recipe from this site. I use Crisco shortening, Domino sugur and Dream Whip. My icing is not white, it is off white. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mine is a little off white too... I used Indydebi's BC recipe. It is wonderful but the color was not as white as a regular just Crisco, no dream whip, BC. I did use the clear vanilla, but I think the dream whip must add a little of a cream color to the BC.

indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:53pm
post #10 of 12

was your crisco old? I think this icing looks whiter/brighter than regular icing and I've had CC'ers PM me with the same comment. icon_confused.gif

MessiET Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

was your crisco old? I think this icing looks whiter/brighter than regular icing and I've had CC'ers PM me with the same comment. icon_confused.gif

Wow... my Crisco was very fresh. I wonder what could be the problem then? I still love your recipe - I think it is a great buttercream and it holds up great!

momofjil Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #12 of 12

Ok, I made a second batch of icing with only 2 Tbs of Dream Whip. It was definitely more white. Indydebi, are there different dreamwhips? My crisco was fresh, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%