Looking For A Recipe From Childhood

Baking By jlr43 Updated 20 May 2008 , 8:35am by jlr43

jlr43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlr43 Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:55am
post #1 of 7

I am new to CakeCentral and was hoping someone out there might could help me. I was raised in a small town in Colorado and there was a bakery in the nearest "large" town (Cortez) called VitaKist Bakery. They served the most wonderful cake there but they went out of business years ago and I would love to make a cake similar.

Their cakes were very light, almost spongy with very little crumb. They had a very fine texture and when cut, they made perfect squares that didn't fall apart at all. I believe they were a yellow cake of some sort with an icing that wasn't too sweet but also very light and airy. I was told that they might possibly have used "liquid sugar" in the cakes. You could literally eat several pieces of this cake and not feel full or too sweet!

If anyone thinks they might have a recipe that makes a cake similar, I would really, really appreciate it! Or even better, if you are from that area and know how they made them, my mother and I would be eternally grateful. We crave these cakes ALOT!

6 replies
LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 10 May 2008 , 10:09am
post #2 of 7

Welcome to CC! I can't help with the cake you're looking for, but it sounds like something I'd be very interested in. Maybe we'll both have a great recipe to try. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

jlr43 Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the welcome, LadyMike. I hope we will both end up with a great recipe! I have already found some great recipes on this site. Hopefully, one more!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 7

I looked up cake recipes with corn syrup on epicurious.com (figuring perhaps that's what liquid sugar meant). There is a yellow-type cake with a corn syrup glaze callled "caramel cake" by Ruth Cousineau. ( I don't think CC allows us to copy other website's recipes, so that's why I'm giving just the info to find it). It might be similar to what you're looking for -- it got rave reviews.

Also -- look up the Town or County historian's office via a website -- you'd be surprised, often when famous business shuts down, they might publish the recipes in the newspaper. It might be in a clipping file on the bakery, or in a local women's club fundraiser cookbook.

Also, the magazine Taste of Home has a recipe finder service.

Sounds delicious...let me know if you find it, please! thumbs_up.gif

jlr43 Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:11am
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much for the ideas. I will definitely try all of them! If I find it, you will all be the first to know! icon_wink.gif

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 7

Jlr43,
You may want to try this site:
"Uncle Phaedrus â Finder of Lost Recipes"
http://www.hungrybrowser.com/phaedrus/m110101.htm

Good luck with the search...food memories are strong!

jlr43 Posted 20 May 2008 , 8:35am
post #7 of 7

Peanut123,
I immediately went to the hungrybrowser website and searched to no avail. I e-mailed them to see if they could find it. We'll see! Thank you for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%