Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes

Decorating By steplite Updated 11 May 2008 , 5:31pm by steplite

steplite Posted 10 May 2008 , 8:09am
post #1 of 12

Has anyone made the magnolia vanilla cupcakes? I made them and noticed that they didn't dome a lot on top. I was wondering why the recipe calls for both AP flour and self rising. I added a extra tsp. of baking powder the second time I made them but they still didn't dome. Do you think just baking with self rising flour and not the AP would help? They were real good cupcakes.

11 replies
Homemade-Goodies Posted 10 May 2008 , 8:43am
post #2 of 12

Mine didn't dome as well...but I was looking for cupcake cake suitability and it worked for me. I've also made the recipe for a 2 layer cake, and it didn't dome then either, nice and flat. Maybe you have an idea about only using self-rising flour. I ordinarily like small-domed cupcakes for individual cakes. If you try the self-rising only, report back if they domed...I have another cupcake cake to do, so I don't want domes icon_wink.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:21am
post #3 of 12

It's the only recipe I use, and I only use self-raising flour in them. I use an ice cream scoop that is exactly 1/4c and they rise to the top of standard size papers and only dome slightly. If I use them for cupcake cakes (which I do 95% of the time), then I just press the domes flat with a bit of kitchen paper as soon as they come out of the oven - solving the problem for cupcake cakes! Hope that helps.

arwa Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:45am
post #4 of 12

So u mean u use 2 3/4 cups of self raising flour?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 May 2008 , 10:17am
post #5 of 12

Actually, I use 3 cups, I have adapted the recipe slightly because I think my version is better lol!

arwa Posted 10 May 2008 , 10:34am
post #6 of 12

could u pls. post u;re recipe.....

MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:06am
post #7 of 12

1 cup butter or marg
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla EXTRACT not yucky imitation stuff
3 cups self-raising flour
1 cup buttermilk

Allow all your ingredients to come to room temp for at least 1 hour. Beat butter/marg and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla until well incorporated. Add flour and buttermilk alternately in 3 parts, beating for 30 secongs after each addition. Then scrape your bowl down and beat on medium for another minute.

Makes 24 cupcakes or approx 6 cups batter.

steplite Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks a bunch Bonjovibabe! I'll let you know how they turned out. I also wondered about using buttermilk. I'm going to try that too. They are good tasting cupcakes. Did you use their buttercream recipe or your own? And did you use unsalted butter or sweet?

MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 12

My buttercream recipe is as follows (converted for you!):

2 sticks salted butter
5 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4c water

Beat the above on medium speed for 6 minutes, add colour as desired. This recipe will crust.

Makes approx 4 cups.

Homemade-Goodies Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 12

On your CCC's do you use buttercream only, with fondant accents? It always looks so smooth, I've wondered which it was.

Btw, 2 sticks = 8oz??

Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:21am
post #11 of 12

Yes, my CCCs are always covered with buttercream with fondant accents and chocolate transfers as requested. I just use a 250g block of butter, I can't be bothered fannying around lopping off that little 20g piece!

steplite Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 12

Well This was a recipe to go in the cake disaster section. I made the recipe with three cups self rising flour and one cup buttermilk. I had a mess in the oven because the batter covered the whole top of the cupcake pan and ran over. When I took them out of the pan they crumbled. They had no taste at all. I can see why the original recipe called for AP and self rising flour. I'll stick with the original recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%