Making "gray Hair" That Still Looks Appetizing?

Decorating By brendaonline Updated 11 May 2008 , 2:55am by brendaonline

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:30am
post #1 of 4

I've been looking in the forums for 6+ hours, finding all kinds of useful information but nothing quite like what I really want to know.

My husband's 40th birthday is approaching quickly. I have two cake ideas, but both would involve a LOT of light-gray icing, and I'm not sure how appetizing that would look. I'd like any suggestions for making it look better.

Idea 1 is to use an "Elmo" character pan, but making it look like an old man -- regular eyeballs, but thick black eyeglasses around them; flesh-toned nose and perhaps fashion a bald head above the eyes; and then make all the 'fur' below into a bushy gray beard. But that's a LOT of gray.

Idea 2 isn't much better -- use a ball pan to make a "moon" -- which is gray -- with plastic astronauts and space ships, since he's a space buff. I'd considered using coconut for texture. Again, lots of gray, which isn't all that appealing on food.

I'm really at a loss. I've thought about 'marbling' buttercream, or striping the bag, but I'm not at all sure how that would look, nor what tips might be useful. I'm a crafter from way back but a real cake novice, so readily available ingredients and beginner techniques preferred.

Any suggestions -- please? thx

3 replies
Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:54am
post #2 of 4

How about sprinkling some edible silver glitter or luster dust on the 'hair' after so it looks a shinier silver/grey rather than matte grey?!
I think it would work well for the moon aswell, just a touch of twinkle and shine to the moons surface?

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

sisspence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisspence Posted 10 May 2008 , 5:02am
post #3 of 4

That is a great idea! I just completed a horse cake yesterday, and that idea would have worked great. Maybe next time...

brendaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brendaonline Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 4

I'm not at all familiar with the different products so I didn't know it even existed. I might give that a try-- it sounds like a good idea to me! Many thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%