Edible Diamonds

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 10 May 2008 , 4:36am by mjballinger

wgoat5 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #1 of 8

I need to do a cake with the "diamonds are a girls best friend" theme. I wanted to put tiny edible diamond like crystals on them .. I tried the look of the rock candy and don't really care for it.. anybody have any suggestions on what else I could use?

I really don't trust putting the little rhinestones on the cake as I don't know if there will be kids that could possibly consume them icon_sad.gif

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Oh yes I am enclosing the look that I would like to achieve icon_smile.gif
LL

7 replies
gracecakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #2 of 8

Hi,
When I saw the firs part of your question I immediately thought Rock candy as well. Do you think you could do the rock candy again, but this time paint it with the silver shimmer dust. The liquid mixture of a bit of alcohol and a bit of the dust. Try that, thats all i can possibly think of.

mjballinger Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:12am
post #3 of 8

Christi,

FancyFlours has edible jewels! They are very cool, I don't know if they're a bit pricey for what you want or if you can add the cost in.

http://www.fancyflours.com/diamond-cake-jewels.html

Also, what I was thinking of doing, because I don't make money from cakes but LOVE those jewels is making my own. Global Sugar Art has molds for them, but the small ones are out of stock right now icon_cry.gif I was planning on using Isomalt or just melted sugar in them. Just search "gem" and then go near the bottom. The set 2 is the smaller set. It's so cool!

Hope I helped.

Here, I found the link: and they're back in stock! But I already spent my cake toy budget for the month icon_rolleyes.gif

http://globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=21465

wgoat5 Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #4 of 8

Thank you both icon_smile.gif

I love CC! icon_smile.gif

micnmax2003 Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:40am
post #5 of 8

Fantastic site!! icon_biggrin.gif (although a little pricey)
Great idea w/ making your own...let me know how they turn out when you do make them!

wgoat5 Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:02am
post #6 of 8

will do icon_smile.gif

laurynrn Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:13am
post #7 of 8

Sorry to hijack the thread but, I have those stinkin cute molds but...
how would I use melted sugar/isomalt to make them look like real jewels? I made some gumpaste ones and painted with pearl and silver but they didn't quite look like diamonds icon_rolleyes.gif

mjballinger Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:36am
post #8 of 8

laurynrn,
I was just thinking I would spray them with Pam or something and then melt the isomalt according to the directions I found online and pour and wait. lol. I hadn't thought it through all that much.
If you try it, please let me know!
~Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%