Help! My Mmf Decorations Are Too Soft!

Decorating By Mommy34 Updated 11 May 2008 , 6:22pm by Mommy34

Mommy34 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:50am
post #1 of 7

I made my MMF decorations (buildings) earlier this week for my son's party tomorrow. I wrapped them in plastic wrap and have them in a ziploc storage container. I just opened them and noticed they are really soft. It may be the heat and humidity we're experiencing. I'm worried they'll fall off of my BC iced cake tomorrow since they'll be on the outside of the cake. What can I do to help harden them? I read not to refrigerate. What about the oven?

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:22am
post #2 of 7

Welcome to cake central. Unfortunately, it was a mistake to wrap them so tightly. It holds all the moisture in and can melt the fondant.

Open the container, remove any wrapping and allow them to dry, you can put a fan blowing GENTLY to help dry them out.

nikki72905 Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:27am
post #3 of 7

Welcome to Cake Central!

You can also fill the container with corn starch, as it will dry out the piece.

But you will have to "dust" it off before you put it on the cake (You only have to fill container half full for the corn starch!

Good Luck!

fondantgrl Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:00am
post #4 of 7

Let them dry unwrapped and unrefrigerated at room temp. in a dry place for at least four days or more.

springlakecake Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:06am
post #5 of 7

Did you want them to dry hard? If so, left unwrapped would have been better. Or mixing in some gumpaste would have helped. You could start over with some gumpaste (roll it thin) and let it dry before applying. It should dry up pretty quickly. You can also put it in the oven with just the light on to speed it up.

diane Posted 10 May 2008 , 6:12pm
post #6 of 7

if adding cornstarch, be careful not to add too much. the fondant will get really hard. i made that mistake before. icon_wink.gif

Mommy34 Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you to everyone who offered their great advice. Fortunately it all turned out fine. I just took the decor out and let them dry at room temp. I did use a hairdryer on cool for the ones that's worried me. I'm trying to post a pic of the cake; however, I'm having issues uploading. Based on other feedback from users, it sounds like it may be something that might take a while to resolve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%