Sealing Cookies

Baking By topaz176 Updated 18 May 2008 , 2:28pm by JudyDP

topaz176 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 21

Did anyone try to seal the cookie sandwich bags or cello besides tying it with a curling ribbon?

20 replies
topaz176 Posted 10 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 21

bonniebakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 21

I never have, but I thnin I remember seeing a post a while back where someone did...

sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 21

I use an iron to seal my cello bags. Sometimes I use a sticker also or ribbon. I always seal them though, for freshness.

There's another thread about this floating around somewhere.

ps3884 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 21

I've always just used a curling ribbon or sticker to close the bags. I never thought to us an iron to seal them! I'm definitely going to have to try this. Thanks for the idea.

cookiemookie Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 21

I use my Food Saver to seal my cello bags. Havve done it for a couple years now.

sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 21

No problem. I got the idea from here. Just make sure to test it first. I use the lowest setting. Otherwise, it melts and curls.

MichelleM77 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 21

Yes, I use an iron as well. You have to make sure you have the bags with the seal down the back, the noisy cello bags. icon_smile.gif

sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #9 of 21

I have those kind of bags too (with the seal from Nashville Wraps), but I have also used an iron on the party bags that aren't as noisy. I get those at Hobby Lobby.

michellesArt Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 21

the bag doesn't melt if you iron it-i'm not sure i understand...i usually seal mine with a sticker (small adress sticker with my name and number) unless they've asked for ribbon (i'm gonna charge $extra for that next time)

MichelleM77 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 21

Use a low setting. Some bags will melt. I was told you had to use the cello bags that have the seal down the back, different type of plastic than the "quiet," soft bags that do not have a seal down the back that are sold in the craft stores that will melt.

sallene Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 21

IF you get the heat too high, they will curl and melt. Trust me...I did it by accident. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

I've used the bags without the seam too. I just have to make sure the iron is just barely on, but they will also work.

acookieobsession Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #13 of 21

I use an impulse sealer to seal my bags. I also shrink wrap them using a heat gun. If I am using ribbon I close the bag with a 1.5" silver bag tie I got from nashville wraps and tie with a fabric ribbon.

When my impulse sealer broke I bought a cheap flat iron from walmart and used that on the lowest setting.

HTH Julia

southerncake Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #14 of 21

I also use an impulse sealer that I found so much cheaper on Ebay and LOVE! Before that, I used a tiny curling iron.

busymom9431 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #15 of 21

Anyone know the difference between poly bags and cello bags? It may be the same thing, I dunno. I have a food saver and wondered if I could use with poly bags.

MichelleM77 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #16 of 21

Here is where I learned about sealing bags with an iron and what bags work, etc.

Mac Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #17 of 21 has FDA-approved self-sealing bags that I use for my cookies. I also use the non-sealing bags and tie with curling ribbon.

cookiemookie Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #18 of 21

Not sure what model FoodSaver you have but I seal all kinds of bags with mine. I even sealed the bag of shredded lettuce you get at the store yesterday. I've never had a problem.

I do have the capability to manually set mine. I have it set at 3 for most of the stuff I seal.

I have a Professional II model. I've had it for years.

amastercreation Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:18am
post #19 of 21
Originally Posted by Mac has FDA-approved self-sealing bags that I use for my cookies. I also use the non-sealing bags and tie with curling ribbon.

I just got my order of the self-sealing bags from papermart. I really like them. I've been going back and forth on purchasing a sealer or a food saver and when I saw these bags, I thought I'd give them a try first. So far so good.

Mac Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #20 of 21

Yes, I love them. They are called "lip and seal" bags if anyone wants to search for them. Several places carry them but I really like dealing with Papermart.

Really gives the cookie a finished professional look.

JudyDP Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #21 of 21

If I don't have enough extension on top to make it look nice with a bow, I use my vacuum sealer and start sealing it before it starts vacuuming. I personally think that this type of closure looks better with some type of label across the top, or a decorative strip cut with a scrapbooking cutter. I can say this because, unfortunately (for me icon_lol.gif ) I have never sold cookies....only make them for friends and probably have more time to do them than those of you that are selling. JMHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%