Frustrated

Decorating By amymc54 Updated 10 May 2008 , 5:07am by tdybear1978

amymc54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amymc54 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #1 of 9

I am new to the cake decorating arena but am excited on my journey. the only thing I am having trouble w/is getting a real red and a real black. When i mix them with white i get pink and grey. My teacher told me to use hot pink w/the red and that would work............NOT. Then mix brown with black? it's more charcoal. If anyone has any helpful hints that would be great!!!!!!!!!

Amy

8 replies
SugarLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLand Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #2 of 9

what brand colors are you using and what shades?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #3 of 9

If you are using Wilton gel paste you need a lot. Keep adding, eventually it will be a deep shade. Also it will deepen a bit over time.

jonicca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonicca Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:09am
post #4 of 9

I would leave Wilton colors alone. . .that's what I did. Look at some online stores and get SUPER BLACK and SUPER RED. I think mine are Americolor but I'm not sure.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:25am
post #5 of 9

I agree Americolor is AWESOME!!! They work the best, and do not leave the paste taste to your icing, or fondant etc...

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:27am
post #6 of 9

If you're using Wilton then you need a lot of color to get red...sometimes it will take a whole little tub to make a batch of red. I have only made small amounts of black but I never have trouble getting black.

Some things color more easily than others. For me, royal icing has vibrant colors and doesn't take a lot of color, but buttercream sometimes needs a lot of color.

datalore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
datalore Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:41am
post #7 of 9

Wilton needs A LOT of pigment- remember that this affects the texture/consistency of your fondant or buttercream. I use Sugarflair or Cake Craft colours. For black I always start with a chocolate base (either fondant or buttercream) this just cuts back a bit on the amount of colour I am using.

amymc54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amymc54 Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:53am
post #8 of 9

thanks much. i am using wilton paste but will definitely try other brands and types such as gels!!!!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 10 May 2008 , 5:07am
post #9 of 9

I use the americolor and get very rich red and black

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%