Sugarshack - Icing Please Help

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 10 May 2008 , 2:12am by terrier

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 9

Sharon, first of all I love your dvds.

If anyone can help me PLEASE PLEASE do so as I was going to ice my daughters birthday cake tonight. Because I need help. I went to the grocery store to look at the powdered coffee whitener. And well I should have known better, but when reading the ingredients I realized that it has milk. icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif I knew that, I just really wanted to use it. So now I need to find something that does not have dairy. Anyone have any ideas on what I can use to make the same recipe

ps. If you do not know my daughter has a milk allergy.

Thanks,
Janice

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 9

What brand did you get? I thought coffeemate was non dairy. I think you could probably use water but I would pm Sugarshack and ask if she knows.

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 9
terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 9

Hi my two daughters have life threatening allergies to dairy/milk too.... I always use silk cream, it has that creaming taste and does not make the icing taste funny or different then you can added different flavours ie. rum, coconut, vanilla etc. Everything think I make is dairy free and no one is the wiser.

*Also I add meringue powder to it so it crusts over.

adobewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adobewife Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 9

The product can be lactose free, and still contain milk products. it does contain sodium caseinate, which is a milk derivative. I think I would do a little research before using. I do know that there is a difference in being lactose intolerant and a milk allergy.
Good luck, and I would like to know what you find out, because I would hate to make one of my clients with allergies sick. I have a family that I do cakes for that have both milk allergies and celiac disease, it's a challenge.

terrier Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 9

Hi,
Just a heads up...COFFEE-MATE is lactose free but not dairy free... There is a differences between the two.
Cheers,
ally

Sodium Caseinate is a modified protein extracted from pure farm milk. icon_smile.gif

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 9

Hi Janice,

I've used Pastry Pride which says non dairy. I just searched the internet for the ingredients and couldn't find what exactly is in it but I don't remember it having any dairy type products. But I can't be too sure. I have some at home but I'm not there right now to check. (Sorry) I'm not sure if you have a Smart and Final store by you but that's where I get mine. If I get home before you can find out, I will definitly let you know. Good luck,
Heather

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:08am
post #8 of 9

Ok Janice, I called Smart & Final and someone gave me the ingredients for the pastry pride and it does have sodium casienate. Nuts! I was hoping there was a real non-dairy product out there too. I'm sorry. I hope you find something.

terrier Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:12am
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%