Frank Lloyd Wright Stained Glass Cake?

Decorating By ShopGrl1128 Updated 10 May 2008 , 2:03am by Michelle104

ShopGrl1128 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 9

Hi dear friends:
I've been asked to make an art deco cake using Frank Lloyd Wright's stained glass pieces as inspiration.

I'm really excited about the idea because is not a typical wedding cake, the bride wants the cake to have the construction of the cake on this picture, but I was wondering how to get the 'glass' effect on the cake.

I've seen a 'Tiffany lamp' cake around here with the look I would like to get, but I can't find the picture.
I was planning to do a fondant covered cake, lots of luster dust and a very thin coat of piping gel to give the glassy illusion.

I know piping gel takes for EVER(!!!) to dry and I don't want to end up with a gluey/sticky cake.

What do you guys recommend?

Thank you.
LL

8 replies
chutzpah Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 9

I think you've posted the wrong cake. That is definately not Art Deco. I would call it 'Mod' (late 50s-early 60s).

Google 'frank lloyd wright stained glass' and all sorts of lovely images pop up.

ShopGrl1128 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you Chutzpah.

The bride wants this off-centered construction on her cake but with F.L.W. artwork on it instead of this 'Mod' decoration.

MacsMom Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 9

If you mix vodka with piping gel it won't be near as sticky and easier to paint. You can also buy confectioner's glaze at IntoTheOven (best price).

chutzpah Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 9

Okay, thanks for explaining that! I was confused.

Thinking of that Simon & Garfunkel song........

Narie Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 9
ShopGrl1128 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 9

ohhh gosh! THANK YOU!!!!
That's exactly what I was looking for! you guys rock...big time!

I will try the vodka with PG and if not I will check into the conf. glaze.

Michelle104 Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:45am
post #8 of 9

I just saw some sparkling piping gel at a supply store here. Maybe that would help too? icon_confused.gif

Michelle104 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:03am
post #9 of 9

I just saw some sparkling piping gel at a supply store here. Maybe that would help too? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%