Do Any Use Buttermilk?

Decorating By majormichel Updated 16 May 2008 , 10:12pm by majormichel

majormichel Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 7

I just brought buttermilk powder because only a few of my recipes calls for it. Is this just as good as the liquild ready made ones in the grocery store?

6 replies
JanH Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #2 of 7

Your topic is a little misleading... icon_lol.gif

Yes, I do use buttermilk, but I have never used the buttermilk powder.

Do you reconstitute the powder, and then use it like fresh?

Have you tried reconsituting the powder; does it thicken up like fresh buttermilk.

I know the meringue powder, when reconstituted, is pretty close to fresh egg white meringue.

CakeDiva73 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 7

My grandma's pound cake and my scratch chocolate cake both call for buttermilk. I have had the dried buttermilk in my fridge for the longest time. The only thing I use it for is pancakes icon_smile.gif. Never tried it in either of these recipes ~ probably because I am afraid of wasting.

LaSombra Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 7

I use buttermilk powder in almost all my cakes. You just add the powder to your dry ingredients and use water instead of the buttermilk in the recipe. It works well and I love it icon_smile.gif Also, you don't have to worry about it spoiling in the fridge icon_wink.gif

jmt1714 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 7

I use the powder sometimes, but it doesn't have the same result as fresh, IMHO

Homemade-Goodies Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 7

I will use meringue powder, but prefer fresh (butter)milk products to powdered versions. But I think that goes back to my grandmother's insistence of using powdered milk for my Cocoa Puffs when I was a kid! <gags at the memory!>

majormichel Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 7

Apparently, I have not been notified of all your response. Thank you for the feedback.

Quote by @%username% on %date%