Would This Work? Re: Buttercream Softening While Piping

Decorating By Katied75 Updated 10 May 2008 , 1:32am by SeriousCakes

Katied75 Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 6

So I've been wondering what to do about softening buttercream. I use butter in my icing, and I notice that the first 2 roses I pipe are beautiful, sometimes the first 3... and then they slowly turn into gooey messes and blobs of melting buttercream. I put the buttercream back into the fridge (or the freezer for a couple of minutes) and it's back to being hard. I pipe 2 roses, and it starts softening again.... this obviously is annoying when I have 40 roses to make.

So I had an idea today. I'm wondering if I fill a large bowl with ice, and fill 2 or 3 pastry bags with buttercream and the same tips, if I could pipe 2 roses, lay that bag back on top of the bowl of ice, grab another bag out of the bowl, pipe 2 roses, put it back, grab the other bag again, etc... if this would keep my roses all looking firm and consistant.

The same would work if I'm piping a lot of dots or something... same tips, different bags, bowl of ice, and switch the bags up as I go, with the ice refirming the other icing in the meantime.

What do you think? Would this be an easy way to keep the icing firm without running to my fridge every 10 minutes?

Katie

5 replies
mommycakediva Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 6

I think this sounds like a great idea so long as the melting ice doesn't or can't get in the pastry bag and ruin the icing! Let us know how it works, I have the same problem when making roses!

mkolmar Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 6

If I pipe anything the same thing happens because I have hot hands.
I wonder if you put a metal or glass bowel in the freezer for a little bit and then placed it into a bowl of ice if that would work. That way you don't have to worry about water ruining your BC.

tiggy2 Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 6

I use ice packs like you put in lunch boxes. I cover them with a kitchen towel and the bags on them and it works like a charm. No melting to worry about and I just keep switching bags.

cupcakemkr Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 6

Grrrrr...I was posting my message when the system went down, very frustrating.

ANYWHO...

You could use a couple of bags and keep one/two in the frdge or freezer and switch as you go.

You can only get 2 roses before it goes too soft? Maybe your BC is not think enough, try adding more ps or less liquid to get a stiffer consistency and maybe you can get a few more in before it melts?

HTH

SeriousCakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #6 of 6

icon_lol.gif Katied-I have the same problem-well, only when the weather turns warmer and my kitchen is not the icebox it is in the wintertime icon_biggrin.gif I just posted on another thread about this, I take 2 pans, fill the bottom one with ice and put my bags in the top one-works wonderfully!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%