Smooth Cake

Decorating By Roselyn Updated 16 May 2008 , 4:26pm by SugarBakerz

Roselyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roselyn Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 13

How do I smooth cake. I want it to be perfect, but I find it very hard. Anybody has suggestions.

12 replies
bowden80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bowden80 Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 13

I just read something under the ARTICLE section titled "Upside down icing technique for perfectly smooth icing"- I think I'm going to play around with it this weekend and see how it works.
You might want to check it out.

Sandylee05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandylee05 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 13

Hello!
Run to the store and buy plain white Viva paper towels. These towels have a very smooth texture. After you ice the cake, let it barely crust (maybe 5-10 min.). Lay piece of paper towel on cake and using a plastic straight edge card or scraper smooth the cake. Scrapers can usually be found in a cake shop. My favorite scrapers (cards) the little brown ones from Pampered Chef. You could probably also use a credit card.

HTH,
Sandy

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:48pm
post #4 of 13

I was never able to get perfectly smooth buttercream until I started using Sharon (Sugarshack) Z's BC. Do a search for it. It's great!

Cakelover763 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelover763 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 13

Hello,
I wipe off my spatula, dip it in hot water and shake off the excess water every time I lift my spatula from the cake. Icing pulls icing so make sure the spatula is clean each time. Hope this helps.

Andrea329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea329 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 13

I am very new to this. I was tought to use parchment or wax paper. Place it on the cake and lightly rub your hand over the top. Hope it works for you.

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:01am
post #7 of 13

I agree with Tomore Sharon's DVD on buttercream is the best. She shows the best ways to get perfect buttercream, and I mean perfect buttercream! Sharp edges and corners and everthing else usefull to buttercream cakes. thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:16am
post #8 of 13

Here ya go thumbs_up.gif :

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roselyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roselyn Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you all for the suggestions. This is great.

msmanning2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmanning2 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 13

Never again will I NOT use the sugarshack recipe and method (from her awesome dvd). I LOVE IT! I was out of hi ratio shortening and had to resort back to my old buttercream recipe (butter and plain shortening) and it was a disaster!

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 13

Nothing works better than Melvira! On the home page scroll all the way down until you see Melvira's method....nothing works as easy and good as this!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:26pm
post #13 of 13

I have found that SugarShacks icing made all of the difference in my icing. I use the Melvira Roller method, and once I changed over to SugarShack it looks amazing.... I have actually had people PM and ask me how I got it so smooth.... I remember being that person months ago because I couldn't get it just right, but now I do icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%