Question About A Cross Cake On Top Of A Sheet Cake...

Decorating By marion123 Updated 9 May 2008 , 9:27pm by wendalynn11

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I wanted to ask you guys a quick question... I making a commiuim cake for tomorrow. I'm making a 1/2 sheet and I'm going to put a "cross" cake" on top of the 1/2 sheet cake... Here's my question.. Should I frost and decroate the "cross" cake first and then put it on the 1/3 sheet cake?

Thanks so much for all of your help...

6 replies
CreatedByMe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreatedByMe Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 7

You could treat it as another layer and just ice it all together but what i did is I covered the cross in fondant to make it stand out a bit and then I out a border around the bottom of it to make it easier to see the shape of the cross.
Hope that helps
tara

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 7

I also did the same cake, did BC on the sheet cake and fondant with flowers on the cross, Here is the pic, sorry it is upside down!!! I did do each cake individually and then carefully placed the cross on the sheet cake ( and then fixed the finger marks with VIVA!) and then piped the border.
LL

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 7

thanks so much for the help!!

I'm going to frost each one sep. and then carefully put them on...

maryj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryj Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendalynn11

I also did the same cake, did BC on the sheet cake and fondant with flowers on the cross, Here is the pic, sorry it is upside down!!! I did do each cake individually and then carefully placed the cross on the sheet cake ( and then fixed the finger marks with VIVA!) and then piped the border.

I've got an order for a baptismal cake I'd like to do this way. How do you go about the carving of the cross cake to get the dimensions to it. thanks in advance.

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

do you have to put any supports under it? dowels etc??

wendalynn11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendalynn11 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

the cross is the wilton cross pan, i did not use dowels and it worked fine...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%