Question About A Cross Cake On Top Of A Sheet Cake...

Decorating By marion123 Updated 9 May 2008 , 9:27pm by wendalynn11

marion123 Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I wanted to ask you guys a quick question... I making a commiuim cake for tomorrow. I'm making a 1/2 sheet and I'm going to put a "cross" cake" on top of the 1/2 sheet cake... Here's my question.. Should I frost and decroate the "cross" cake first and then put it on the 1/3 sheet cake?

Thanks so much for all of your help...

6 replies
CreatedByMe Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 7

You could treat it as another layer and just ice it all together but what i did is I covered the cross in fondant to make it stand out a bit and then I out a border around the bottom of it to make it easier to see the shape of the cross.
Hope that helps
tara

wendalynn11 Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 7

I also did the same cake, did BC on the sheet cake and fondant with flowers on the cross, Here is the pic, sorry it is upside down!!! I did do each cake individually and then carefully placed the cross on the sheet cake ( and then fixed the finger marks with VIVA!) and then piped the border.
LL

marion123 Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 7

thanks so much for the help!!

I'm going to frost each one sep. and then carefully put them on...

maryj Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendalynn11

I also did the same cake, did BC on the sheet cake and fondant with flowers on the cross, Here is the pic, sorry it is upside down!!! I did do each cake individually and then carefully placed the cross on the sheet cake ( and then fixed the finger marks with VIVA!) and then piped the border.

I've got an order for a baptismal cake I'd like to do this way. How do you go about the carving of the cross cake to get the dimensions to it. thanks in advance.

snoopy3 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 7

do you have to put any supports under it? dowels etc??

wendalynn11 Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 7

the cross is the wilton cross pan, i did not use dowels and it worked fine...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%